1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp for doubling?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Marty Forrer, Aug 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I'm a doubler, although not usually on the same gig. I play in 5 bands across all genres, from jazz to americarna, rock n roll to soul and ska. Because of my bad back I am downsizing my rig and I have two 450watt 1x12 cabs which are compact and light. I am trying to decide between a GK MB500 (which I already have), an EA Micro, a Mesa Subway D-800, a Tecamp Puma 900, or Magellan 800.Other than the Subway, I don't have access to try any out. Any thoughts, comments?

2. devnulljp

devnulljp

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Acoustic Image is the way to go for doubling and small size. My CODA is the size of a hatbox, sounds great, has 10Meg input ...

3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    In addition they have the best warranty in the buisness.

All those amplifiers are very good, I would want a two channel amp for Doubling. EA makes the Doubler that's well suited to your needs and very lightweight. Acoustic Image has the Clarius+

4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I have a Doubler and a Focus and they are both excellent!

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  5. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    The obvious thing would be to see if you can achieve satisfaction with the heads you already have access to.
    Failing that, in this era, your light weight options could scarcely be more plentiful.
    Two channels sounds tempting, though I tend to be a "one sound fits all" kind of guy when it comes to amp EQ. (Going through a dozen or so amps, I've found that what works for electric, usually works for upright - YMMV. Having a good outboard buffer for the upright has helped a lot - in my case the blend section of a Biesele magnetic pickup or the fDeck preamp with hi-pass filter.)
    For quick mid-set changes on a true doubling gig, I have had good luck with a Radial passive instrument selector.

6. jleguy

jleguy Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    To my ears, amps dedicated to upright bass or acoustic instruments (like AI and PJB) sound very flat when used for electric bass. The type of speaker cab you choose can help give more color. Using a musical sounding preamp thru the effects send/return loop for electric bass might be solution. For now I don't have gigs that cross over upright and electric bass, so I still have dedicated amps for both. But I do use my AI Focus series III as my back up amp for electric gigs, and I've had to use it at times, but its just not as satisfying playing electric thru the AI as it does thru my Eden WT550. And I like my AI and PJB so mush for upright I just haven't felt the need to try my Eden amp for upright. But maybe I'd feel differently about that if in the future I'd have to schlep both upright and electric bass amplification gear for a true doubling gig. For now the two worlds have not collided for me...

7. QSC K12 here, using just an F-Deck Pre with the DB's piezo pickup and straight in when playing the electric (Fodera Monarch Classic.) 2 channels, each accept either XLR or 1/4", plenty of power and volume for medium-sized club stages though I may pick up another for outdoor gigs and those w/o PA support. Although it has good handles and is balanced it's about 41lbs which might be a deal-breaker for you.

8. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Doubling is a bit more complicated, thats for sure. I've always had a Walter Woods Ultra as my fall back amplifier. It's great for doubling, but it's out of most players price range (I bought it used).

9. tmntfan

tmntfan

Oct 6, 2011
    Edmonton canada
    if you can find the old SWR stuff (baby blue, acoustic blonde, etc) that has worked well for me doubling. however, if you have a set up already why not look for a separate set up for the other if you are usually only playing electric or upright?

10. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Tijeras, NM
    The Trickfish BH1k is a GREAT amp for upright and electric. If I'm playing both, I'll run an AI Flex preamp into the FX return for upright and run the elec straight into the Trickfish preamp input. Otherwise, the front end sounds great with both. My alternative is an AI Clarus SL with an MXR M81 preamp into the FX return for the electric if I need separate EQ.

I've found these to be superior in a few ways to my old PJB D-600, and just about every other doubling rig I've tried using. When I'm truly doubling and playing both on the same gig, I much prefer to send separate DIs to FOH. I'll often use an AMT mic on the upright to FOH, as well. It's a little more cumbersome than feeding all through a single channel, but the end result is better sound on both instruments, and most sound guys are happy they don't have to deal with different instruments on the same channel.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  11. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    I use a GK 700RB for both UB and EBG I am bypassing the pre amp and running a pre into the effects return at Line Level. I also use a tiny bit of light compression (Darkglass) I run both basses into the same exact settings 90 percent of the time. Seems to sound good for both to me anyways...Also, as a disclaimer I don't really care if it's MBOL I just want nice full clean signal with decent tone.

12. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Ya if you have 1500 bucks to spend on an amp....if you want a case add a couple hundred bucks. I would love an AI amp they are just so damn expensive... I could buy another bass for that...

13. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I had the original Baby Blue 2x8. I liked the sound of the cabinet, the head just wasn't my cup of tea. It sounded better on EB than DB with my instruments, pickup etc. at the time.

Ric

14. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Yep,
    Can't deny that they are expensive, compaired to other very reliable amplifiers. One thing to note however, Acoustic Image has a stellar reputation with their customer service and warranty.
    I loved the tone stack that was used on the GK 800RB. It was also used for the 200MB's. Worked will with my & DB pickups at the time.

Ric

Groove Doctor and Josh Kneisel like this.
  15. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    So you're essentially using the 700RB as a power amp. Are you using a Darkglass Pre?

16. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    I need a better pre...I have the Darklass Supersymetry running into a SansAmp BDDI currently (I know I need to buy something with better than 1 MegaOhm input impedence)

17. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Well,
    Depending upon your pickup, 1 Megohm could be all you need. Walter Woods set all his amplifiers at 1 Meg Ohm and so does Rich Gallien. So actually your 700RB is already set there.

Ric

18. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Ya it seems to like the Gage Lifeline just fine so I haven't tried very hard to change anything since I kind of think if it aint broke I should leave it

Ric Vice likes this.
  19. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Yep, works for me.

20. Have a phone chat with George at bass gear direct in Sydney. Extremely helpful guy.
    Home - Bass Gear Direct

He stocks EA, Tecamp and Genzler, plus Berg (B|Amp) and Glockenklang. He has a 14-day return policy (not sure if it extends to NZ).