Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp for EUB

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by c-ba55, Jan 19, 2005.

1. I have this homemade (not by me) electric upright with a K&K Bass Max pickup (I think).

I bought a new rig for my electric playing, and didn't expect it to have much impact on the EUB sound, but actually it was really dramatically better. (much more like an acoustic upright bass)
    It's not louder, but it's fuller, and just feels more relaxed and easy. The sound blooms. The new set up is Aguilar 2x12 instead of Eden 2x10. Also, I got a Thunderfunk amp, which has magical powers compared to my previous GK amp. The bass sound in its entirety is boom, right there, in the whole room. I have thought about getting a minimally small rig to amplify the EUB, but after hearing it through this rig, it's worth hauling around.

Attached Files:

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Heh, I ended up buying a whole dedicated rig for my EUB once I started playing around with different amp setups. I especially like the iAmp and the Walkabout, which sound completely different from each other.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have often noticed how the amp/cab makes a big differnce to my EUB - so there have been many occasions wher I have had to use the amp that was there on stage and it sounded terrible, like a distorted BG!

The small Gallien Krueger 150 watt combos are OK - but I have found nothing to beat the EA VL208 for making it sound like an amplified DB!! :)

Several pro DB players I've met in the UK, have asked to try it and been really impressed with it - but you can#'t buy them any more! ;)

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    My Azola sounds great through my AI Contra when it's just doing subs for my regular URB. Oddly enough, it also sounds great through my electric rig, which is a Raven Labs PMB-II through a power amp and Goliath Sr. 6x10...but I've found I really don't like hearing my uprights at any volume that's much greater than the AI will produce.

5. Another vote for the AI... I've done a few gigs with my AI Focus 2 now and I couldn't be happier. :hyper:

6. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    My upright sounds good through my Avalon U5/QSC/Bergantino HT112. It also sounded pretty sweet through an old SWR Baby Blue - the model with 2 8" and a 5".

7. allthumbs

allthumbs

Dec 30, 2004
    South Devon, UK
    As my inaugural post, I just thought I'd let you all know that my GK MB150-E sounds just fine with both upright and NS EUB - though some adjustment of the tone is required between the two. A little more top end on the upright helps.

Maybe it hasn't the grunt of an 8x10, or even a 2x12 but it's just sooooo easy to carry about!

I've found the 112 extension cab - which I was fortunate enough to acquire 2nd hand at a knock down price - makes a BIG difference. But I still don't lug it about all the time.

I'm toying with the idea of acquiring something a little meatier though, and c-ba55's thoughts have propelled me a little further down this road.

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Yeah, I had a local VL-208 in my sights for quite a while. I did get to try it out, but only with my fretless BG. Someone else got it in a big package deal, so I'll just have to live with my CXL-112E, which works really well actually. I've settled on the iAmp 800, after many other try-outs.

The Walkabout Scout makes my BSX sound really phat and is great for the hip-hop stuff I do at open mikes. I don't own one, just plug in 'cause it's already up there on stage a lot of nights. Not the ticket for DB cloning, but that's the fun of it, too. I just go with the distorted fretless sound if that what the amp wants to give me. It'd suck on a jazz gig though. I'd probably just go through the board instead, given the choice.

The comment about not caring for the sound past a certain level caught my attention. Take a look at my thread on high volume situations for some thoughts on this.