1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp for Progressive Rock

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by In Absentia, Sep 11, 2008.

1. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    Around $1000. I play similar stuff to Porcupine Tree (obviously). Something warm sounding. Sorry if this is an annoying thread. I haven't assimilated into the way things work around here yet.

2. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Welcome to talkbass, you might get more responses if you post it in the amp section. For $1000.00 you can get any number of amps that will do what you want.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Colin is known to have used Trace stuff in the past and EBS stuff now.... I bet Eden or Ashdown could get you close too.

4. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    This is the amp section. :confused:

5. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    I've been looking at the Mesa, Genz, and GK stuff. You think anything there could get me close? I'll extend the range from $1000 to about $1300.

I love the sound of Colin's old stuff. The Tech 21 rig he had sounded pretty decent, for what it was.

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    You want warm? Either Genz Benz or Eden would be my recommendation - not so much Gallien Krueger.

Mesa Boogie is certainly nice too. Maybe not quite so modern... :meh:

MM

7. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    I've not played many GBs, but I figured they wouldn't be terribly warm (I don't know why). I have to say that they have always appealed to me because of cost and customer service, but have always been skeptical because it seems like too much of a good thing at that cost.

8. Bassmore

Bassmore Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Virginia
    I realize I'm repeating myself from another post BUT My 2 cents worth says you should at least check out the new Acoustic Amplification stuff with your own ears at your local GC. I did and I'm happily not looking back. I'd be surprised if you are not surprised after you have heard them in person. A whole lotta tonal bang for your buck. They have both a 200W Combo as well as a 200W head along with either a B410 or B115 cab. Their Stack (B200H Head, B410 and B115 cab) goes for about $750, it's a freak of nature as far as I can tell. That’s 200W RMS (Old School Watts). Many may not even bother to try out a 200W Bass amp, but this one…you should. It was a total 70’s tonal flashback moment for me when I tried the Acoustic out compared to another, shall we say, “famous” Amp of that era that actually boasted 20 more Watts...peg. :D After you try it out, it may be all the power you need. Just IMHO, but always trust your own ears as many tastes in amp selection may differ as well as different playing styles, playing venues, etc. Oh yeah, if it is to your liking but still not enough power, they should be coming out with the B600H Head in November (450W at 4 Ohm, 600W at 2 Ohm and I'm assuming the same awesome 6 band EQ) and some monster kinda cab to go with it, the head itself going for around $400.00, I think. Oh, yeah, although I'm not personally familiar with whose particualr sound you are going for but "warmth" is most certainly possible with the EQ on these things. It's at least worth a try.

Best of Luck,

Play On! :bassist:

Bassmore

9. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    I've heard good stuff, and I thought about getting a small Acoustic setup so I can keep it here at the house.

10. Bassmore

Bassmore Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Virginia
    That's nice. Personally I wasn't knocked out by their smaller one (20W). The 50W is actually made for an Acoustic bass or coffee shops mic combo duet thingy. I ended up getting a Fender Rumble 60 for practice for a while. I tried those back in early March or something before their stacks started showing up. But as skeptical as I was about the new Acoustic Stack, thinking someone just bought a legendary name, made some cheap stuff in China, gonna sell some kids some stuff, weeee. I plugged into it and that was all she wrote. Just sayin' ya may want to check it out. Hearing good things about something is not quite the same as hearing great things from something.

Play On!:cool:

Bassmore

11. godspeed68

godspeed68 i'm here for the sound Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I use Mesa stuff for Guzzlemug and it does the trick just fine.

You can find used all-tube heads under that price range, and after a good retube, it will put you at that price range. You'll be sailin' from then on out.

Got any samples of yer band?

tom

12. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa

13. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    Not yet, we are actually just finishing up a recording in the next month or so. I'll be sure to post 'em up.

14. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I know people must get sick of me recommending it... but if you can afford it, go Mesa. You've already been considering it. IMO, it's the best for modern rock sounds. It gives you the definition most won't, but it will still get grungy and nasty.

15. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution

hmmm...raising our prices as a marketing strategy to create a perception of greater performance. ...some marketing books recommend that. ;)

16. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    And some manufacturers actually do it.

I've really enjoyed the stuff I've played from you guys. I've been skeptical, but it doesn't mean I can't recognize a good thing once I try it out. You guys def. fall into that category.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Tis a fine line, though...price too high and you run the risk of nobody buying it. $2000 Ampeg B-15R ring a bell? ;)

18. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004

I kid ....I kid. I hate to say it though...we know of instances where people pass us up because we don't "cost enough".

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Two words...Shuttle Deluxe...same amp in a gold box, charge $200 more.

No need to thank me, bro ;)

20. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    :D:D LOL:D