1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp FX loop send vs DI out for recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Sunset Shalom, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    So I finally got around to trying my Carvin BR510's FX loop send instead of the DI output, the main reason I wanted to try it was to get the parametric mids EQ and tube drive in the DI signal since the DI output bypasses it all.

Anyways to my surprise the FX loop send is also less noisy, the DI out isn't too noisy but it definitely introduces a bit of noise for whatever reason. Wasn't expecting it to sound very good based on what most people seemed to be saying online, but it actually sounds just as good if not better. The EQ/Drive/Comp all work amazing into a mixer, super useful. Can't believe I didn't try it sooner...

Anyone else go this route? Maybe it's just my Carvin amp but I actually prefer it to the DI out. Though now I'm wondering if it would be possible to use both outputs and blend/EQ them differently :drool:

Anyways just wanted to share since this is something I haven't heard much about. Didn't even realize FX loop sends could be used like that until awhile back, and it seems like most people consider it a bad way to go for whatever reason.

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Is there not a pre/post switch for the DI?

Yes, you could conceivably use two outputs and blend them together. Keep this old gem in mind when doing so:
    "One source, one signal, one tone. One source, two signals, two problems." Blending multiple signals can be okay provided you know how to deal with the phase discrepancies that will occur.

3. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    No pre/post switch, that would be handy though. Just a Ground/lift switch on the back and a DI level control on the front.

Yeah I know all about the phase issues it can introduce when not set up right. Running them in parallel into a mixer would probably cause problems, but maybe they would work as L/R stereo inputs into a pedal or something :eyebrow:

Been running a stereo mic into my Novation Ultra Nova to record into a mixer, which is both convenient and a fun way to run mic'd signals into a synths filters and effects. Anyways could be cool to run the amp into it.

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    That's a strange omission on Carvin's part. I wonder why they chose to omit that.

It has nothing to do with being "set up right." If you have two signals there will be phase discrepancies regardless in any area of frequency overlap. With two signals of the same source the issues tend to be magnified.

5. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    They packed a lot of other useful features into it for the price so I can't complain, hopefully it's on their nicer amps though.

By "set up right" I meant the source of the inputs as well and wasn't talking specifically about amps. I've had better experience using multi FX with stereo outputs as well as mono DI outs, running both at once into a mixer didn't give any noticeable issues.