1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp placement on stage

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Looking for suggestions for amp placement on stage. The last two times we played out my rig was sandwiched between the guitarist's 412 stack and the drummers Carvin R1000 (micing kick and FX) I couldn't be heard well more than 10 feet from stage. I am running a Carvin BX1200 bridged at 800 watts/8ohms into an Avatar 410 neo. Maybe I just need to tweak eq? We are a classic/modern rock band.

2. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    If you have a scooped mid tone, it may sound great on its own, but will disappear when the band starts in. Could this be part of the trouble?

3. I'm in front and right of the drums (facing the crowd), my amp is behind the drums and to the left, angled about 20° to the right. The guitar is setup opposite:

Code:
      gtr               me

drums
        bamp        gamp
       --------------------
    I agree you should check your eq. Mine's mid-peaked, with a bit of bass boost. . . very farty and clanky- cuts right through.

4. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I do scoop the mids a bit. Will have to tweak. It is thunderous on stage, though. :cool:

5. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    If you have a sweepable low mid or a graphic, try pulling out some 160Hz (or as close as you can get) - that's a hot spot in many bass cabinets, and a cut there should take out some of the roar and boom, and may even allow you to dial some low end in.

6. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks Timmy. Should be able to try that.

BX1200 has:

Advanced Equalization - three EQ sections
    - Active Passive front panel input gain switch
    - 5-band three sweep tone control section
    - 9-band foot switch able graphic EQ

7. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    I am curious why you set your amps up this way. I can think of a lot of disadvantages from a setup like this, what are the advantages?

8. Our drummer is a very loud fellow. Imagine Keith Moon on speed. Goes through kevlar snare heads faster than most drummers go through plastic ones. This way, he takes the brunt of the backline. Also, that simplified diagram omits the keyboard rig at center stage, the four wedge monitors, and the two side-fill monitors just outside the bass & guitar rigs angled in about 45°. Everything gets nicely balanced in the monitors, which we run in stereo.

9. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    Do you run a DI from the bass/amp to the FOH? If so just raise your mids, cut the lows, and crossfire the stage using your bass amp as a stage monitor only. Should help everyone in the band hear you great.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021