1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Iritan, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Iritan

Iritan

Jun 3, 2005
    Wilmington, N.C.
    Hey, I was gonna make an entirely different thread for this, but I figure this would be easier and make it easier to explain. Thanks for the cheaper head ideas, but I'm finding it also hard to get the money for the schroeder, so any ideas for cabs that fall under the description below and under 600. Thanks

Alrighty here, well I got my first job a few months ago and I've been saving up. Unfortunetly, I have a girlfriend of a year and gas/car insurance to deal with that gave a few set backs. But I'm now makin' some headway in the dough department. I'd just like some advice as to what amp setup I should get. I play in an old school metal band(well it's meant to be old-school, but to my dismay the other members are slowly moving toward this new crap). But Metal is not my main focus, I'm more into the warm, smooth sounds of soul and the clanky slappin' sounds of everybody's favorite, funk. So what would be the best choice for an amp that can go between funk and metal. Money is somewhat of an problem, however, don't let that limit your advice. Also I was kinda gunnin' for some schroeder cabs maybe, and maybe Aguilar DB750...good or bad ideas?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Looks to me like you're on the right track.

3. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    The DB750 is one hell of an amp. It'll also cost you $2500 with tax.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    $1,500 or so, used.

5. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    If money like mentioned above can be found,pull the trigger on this amp/cab combination if you try it and you like it...it would be a decision that would be hard to regret...:cool:

6. Iritan

Iritan

Jun 3, 2005
    Wilmington, N.C.
    Awesome thanks, but as for head situation, that is a pricey head, I knew already. But anybody know any cheaper heads that could be metaly and funky. Just something to use before I can get the DB750.

7. Maybe a Carvin B1500, $700.

8. I am thinking Yorkville XS400H. Just under $600 at muscisians friend or another that comes to mind is the Gallien Kruger 400RB lValso at muscisians friend for under $500.

Good Luck. I hope you find what you are looking for.

9. Iritan

Iritan

Jun 3, 2005
    Wilmington, N.C.
    bump

10. Wellstrung

Wellstrung

Apr 10, 2006
    Google Yorkville xs800h. One place has it at $649. I'm getting one (in the mail now) so can't comment myself, but it gets good buzzz here and elsewhere... I'm optimistic. Also ebay search xs-800h (don't miss the dash).

11. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    RMC Audio (aka Riks Music) sells GK amps at much lower prices than anywhere else I've seen. They sell the 400RB-IV for $400 (and each model up from there is a one hundred dollar increase).

A Gallien-Krueger amp will give you a dinstinctive sound that can work for both metal and funk, or just about anything.