1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ampeg 4x10 help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CaptainDaniels, Apr 21, 2009.

1. I'm in need of upgrading my rig. My 100 watt combo doesn't cut it anymore. I found a deal to purchase an Ampeg 4x10hlf for $300 however I've never played one before and I know they're no longer made by Ampeg. Does anyone own or have experience with these cabs? How are the lows? Is the price right? I was thinking about throwing an Ampeg B2R on top of it. I play a heavy breed of music, almost always in drop d. I'm trying to achieve a heavy crunchy sound in vein of Manny from Glassjaw. Would this rig keep me happy? Any help and opinions would be appreciated.

2. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I think you'd love it. Lows are plenty. Almost too much for me, but probably perfect for drop D heavy music. Built like a tank. Good price. Go for it.

3. Yeah I figured it was a good price. I'm just worried about pulling the trigger on it and not being satisfied about the tone and being stuck with it. Thanks for the help though. Anybody else own or use this cab and agree/disagree? I'd appreciate input from as many TBers as possible. Also, since the cab isn't being made anymore would that make getting it repaired (hopefully won't ever have to) a pain?

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Huge lows with that cab. It's probably exactly what you're looking for, for that kind of music. The problem may be with your choice of head. The b2 are very anemic and underpowered.

5. Xechs

Xechs

Mar 16, 2009
    Northern VA
    As far as sound this cab is known for being able to produce low frequencies (lower than most 410s and some 15s) but some also say it's "boomy". I personally like mine for how the low B sounds through it. These are $750ish new so $300 is a good deal on one, what year was it made?

6. It's the BSE410HLF.

7. I'm not sure what year it was made. I'll ask the seller. He did said that it has been 'gigged for a few years'

8. Xechs

Xechs

Mar 16, 2009
    Northern VA
    Ahh my bad. See where the cab was was made, I think this cab was MIA, if so the ampegs that are MIA are known for being built very solid. As far as replacement drivers, i would contact ampeg and ask them about availability and price. If they don't stock them any more, they're probably Eminence drivers, you can contact them about replacement driver availability and price. If it was gigged for a few years I would think the tolex on the cab itself may be a bit beat up and the drivers may need replacing but I don't have any experience with this specific cab. Also if the drivers do need replacing it may be cheaper to just buy a new cab.

9. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    It's about a foot taller than most 4x10s. Its super heavy, but sounds really good.

10. Well the seller was also including a road case for the cab so I'm assuming he used it while gigging the amp. From the pictures he sent, the tolex looks to be in good condition. I don't see any tears or rips. He was selling it for $350 with the case but to drop the price I said I'd go without it. As long as it's got casters, I don't mind heavy so much, as long as the tone is worth it.

What would be a good head to match up with this cab? I consider myself an ampeg guy but I'm open to other suggestions.

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'd probably want to put at least 500 or so watts into that cabinet if you're going solid state.
    If you like Ampeg, there are a lot of great choices. Pretty much anything with the prefix SVT would work for you.

12. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I have the SVT410HLF cabinet and I personally love it. Tons of low end and it was $750 new. Not sure how the BSE410HLF differs from the SVT410HLF though...anyone know? If they are in the same league, I would say buy it and if you dont like it, flip it.

13. I'm really not a fan of solid state, though. I love the sound produced by tube amps. The only problem is $$$. I don't want to buy the cab and have it sit for 2 years while I try to save up for a head to throw on it.

14. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    SVT-3pro works well with that cab.

15. loend68

loend68 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, T.C. Electronics
    The BSE 410hlf isn't quite as big as the SVT 410. I have one and love it. I was able to get replacement speakers from Daddy's for about $45 each. I use it with either my SVT IIpro or SVT 4pro. I let someone use it one night with the 4pro bridged mono @4 ohms and forgot to tell him not to crank it.. The BSE can't take that much power (rated at around 400 watts) when it's cranked up so I had to replace a couple of the speakers...

Live and learn.

I think you will like the cab.

16. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    The B series is the "Cheap" series of cabs to boost sales. The speakers are 100 Watt speakers instead of "125 watt" speakers.

At lower power the cabs sound very similar, but when you CRANK IT UP the drivers of the BSE will show their weakness. $300 is an OK price for the cab. A used SVT-410HLF is worth up to $500 if it's perfect; less if it's semi beat to death.

I'm an AMPEG snob and wouldn't own any of the new B series product. It doesn't matter where any of the products are manufactured the fit and finish is excellent no matter where any of them is made.

You will need some power to throw at either of those cabs. A B2R is a Doorstop, :scowl: I wouldn't waste my time. The new Acoustic B600 would be a nice inexpensive mate though not AMPEG.

Picking up an SVT3PRO would be a nice match for any of the 410's of course an SVT tube head is very desirable.

Have fun, BOB

17. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Looking at the specs they seem to be pretty much the same cab. The BSE series was the Wooten series of amps, they have a slightly different build, but pretty much the same handling specs. Being that its ported I think you'll be able to get a good amount of bottom out of it.

BSE:
    http://www.musiciansnews.com/bass/69/bse410hlf_4x10_inch_bass_cabinet_with_horn_an.shtml

SVT:
    http://www.ampeg.com/products/classic/svt410hlf/index.html

The only real difference is the weight (91lbs for BSE, 85 for SVT), handling (400 RMS in BSE and 500 RMS in the SVT), and the stated frequency response (BSE is 50-18k, SVT 48-18k). The difference also might be attributed to changes made to the speakers since the BSE series was discontinued.

18. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Yikes, yes when I got my 4PRO the first hour I had it, I sat right in front of my 410HLF and played it. Ran great on one channel, the 4PRO will drive two SVT-410HLF's great.

I flipped it to Mono and gave it another try, holy smokes... And I kept turning it up to see where it would go and all of a sudden I got a huge puff of smoke in my face. :eek:

NO damage, but the 4PRO has too much poop available to be connected to a 410 in mono, let alone a BSE410...

Yeah I learned too... BOB

19. I'm still torn. Should I get the BSE or save more for a deal on a used SVT? I know the SVT is a better cab but is it necessarily worth the extra money? I'll probably go with the 3Pro on top of it.

20. loend68

loend68 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, T.C. Electronics
    Yeah, I run it with one side right now and it's perfect....