1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg B100R Line Out to PowerAmp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JustinS, Apr 12, 2017.

1. I searched and found a number of threads about the B100R and one that specifically talked about the Line Out. I didn't find an answer to this, specifically.

Can I use the unbalanced 1/4" line out on the B100R as a direct input to a power amp. If so, would a relatively transparent PowerAmp into a 115 PF Cab yield roughly the same tone/sound but louder? Have any of you done this?

The B100R gives me the sound I like, but sometimes it's just not loud enough when there is not FOH support. I'm looking for a solution that will let me keep the amp, but augment it. Humping a little extra gear is not an issue.

2. Yep, I got a printed copy of that when I bought it back in 2004 or so. :)

It says nothing about running the line-out to a poweramp. Believe me, I pored over the manual before posting.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm looking for someone who may have tried this, or something similar.

The manual says "Line Out supplies a mono signal for connecting to a mixing con- sole, tape recorder or external amplifier. The signal is pre-Master and post-EQ. "

How does that translate when you plug it into a power amp and into another cab that is similar to the b100r 15"?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  3. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    Since the signal is pre-master and post-eq, it means essentially, yes, you can connect to a power amp. That will be the preamp signal so again, yes, with a clean power amp and similarly voiced cab, it should sound very much like the B-100R by itself but just more. And who doesn't love more? The main thing you'll want to clear up is whether you need a balanced or unbalanced cable. Ask Ampeg directly if you don't get an answer here. I would think unbalanced, but I haven't used the line out on the B-100R or B-50R (which I used to own, great little amp, too).

JustinS likes this.
  4. Awesome! That's the info I was looking for. Everything I've seen indicates unbalanced line.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021