Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B100r

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MarkyMark, Feb 4, 2006.

1. MarkyMark

MarkyMark

Dec 11, 2005
    I got one of these beasts last year and I absolutely love it but the only thing I don't like is that the sound at medium to low volumes isn't beautiful. It only sounds deep and niiiiiiice when I crank it which I can rarely do seeing as it is 100 watts of tube.

Is this a common problem with tube amps (sorry but I am fairly new to this whole thing)?

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Whoever told you the B-100R is tube ripped you off. It's 100% solid state.

3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Just what I was about to say. Surprisingly warm tone for a SS amp though. I definitely want to get the 200 watt version they just came out with.

4. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    The B15R is the flip top 100 watt combo tube amp.

5. MarkyMark

MarkyMark

Dec 11, 2005
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh realllllllllllllly

wow... that is really interesting. Boy, I really learned something today.

well, it's freakin' loud for solid state then. Darn, I thought it was all tube:meh: :crying:

oh well, I really like the sound when it cranked.

Like I said, I'm really new to the bass scene (been playing seriously for a little over a year now).

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    ALOT and I mean ALOT of beginning players would love to have an amp THAT GOOD right out of the shoot.

Do yourself a favor and hang on to it even if/when you upgrade to something louder, bigger etc...

I had a ampeg B50R once, its the ONLY amp I really regret selling :crying: If I had the 100 I would regret even more because it should be loud enough for drums, the B50r was not or should I say BARELY if the drummer restrained himself :meh:

7. MarkyMark

MarkyMark

Dec 11, 2005
    oh yeah, I run it at around 5 or 6 (out of 10) and there are NO problems with being heard. I played a show and I had my amp sitting behind everything (about 8 feet behind the drummer) and I only had it on 7 and I was told that it was too loud. oops.

Yes, I'm very grateful for this amp, I love it. Now I just need a bass worthwhile. This mexican made Fender Jazz isn't fairing so well. Twisted and bent neck, horrid pickups, won't stay in tune (machine heads bad?). I'm looking into a Conklin GT 5

8. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    The new 200w one will have a tube preamp...

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    They just came out with a 200 watt version?!? WHERE?!? :hyper:

10. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
  11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
  12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The piezo junk is easily turned off, or replaced with a soft dome something from madisound.
    My 100R sounds "big" at low levels, so I dunno what your issue might be there...The only thing that would get me to part with it is....a 200R:)

13. MarkyMark

MarkyMark

Dec 11, 2005
    it's probably my bass then. My bass is a piece of CRAP.

14. BassinGas

BassinGas

May 16, 2006
    I finally got one in the home to use. First off, it is a great looking piece. It sits next to my 1966 SB 12 and gets respect. Mine has come up short on dependabilty. Well... the blue power light is dead, burned bulb, happens when you put 36 volts into a bulb rated for 28 volts... Input jack broke the solder joints out of the PC board, plastic jack and nut loosens and puts load on solder???... port tubes feel apart, the tubes are press fit cardboard into the plastic flanges, fell off into cab...when I pulled the speakers to GLUE them back on I noticed only the speaker mounting board is plywood, the rest is pressboard, not even MDF... I guess something fried on the circutboard, I hear no difference playing through the high gain input and the reduced db input and I might be stuck on low gain... 3 of the 5 pots are lose and when I pulled the nobs to tighten I found flimsy, cheap plastic pot shafts and very small ones at that... the stitching on the leather like handle has come undone.... Now you are thinking used hard and often. Not so. This was taken care of, this stuff just happened, no abuse? Don't get me wrong. I think the amp looks cool. If you are looking for something to play in the garage with a quiet drummer and reasonable guitar volumes this can pull it off. It has great bottom tone, works nicely with my Precision. It has little or no high tone, forget about slap, active tones. It will make you look bad. Don't depend on this for gigging. Something can pop up at any minute to ruin your job. For the money, a good looking, deep bottom, rehersal amp it is.

15. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Ampeg's use of cheesy pressboard is BAD. This "blue check" stuff is supposed to be special -- and they use the cheapest and heaviest crap available. I'm sure the cost upgrade to real plywood isn't that great.

It's not just Ampeg, of course. Trace used to do that, too. And I'm a Trace boy, through and through. But crap is crap -- it doesn't matter what you call that glue-based concotion -- and I don't think there's any excuse for it. Especially if you want your customers to think your products are some high standard of excellence.

You'd think that they would have more pride.

In fact, I think TalkBass ought to have a PRESS-BOARD resource where the cabinets of all amp/cab companies are listed for materials. It's just a thought.

16. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    It is surprisingly loud for a SS 100-watt amp. In fact, I once did a gig with one in a band that featured 2 guitarists, a keyboard player and drums as well. It held its own quite nicely, believe it or not, though it was a very small venue.

17. Yep. Fake wood is an insult. That rubs me so wrong. Chinchy construction just plain sux. Everything today is a replica. Replica wood, tolex, solder, screws, wire, stitches. Where does it end?

18. But I did like my B50R while I had it. Just like a previous poster said I miss mine too. :crying:

19. 64jazzbass

64jazzbass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    I have one where I teach and it has been used, abused, and mistreated and it has never failed or had any problems. I have had it on a few small gigs and it held it's own. I prefer the sound with passive basses and I've gotten a mean slap tone with a Lakland DJ4. When you stick some casters on it, it's pretty easy to move around too. As far as not sounding good at low volume levels, I haven't experienced that. Can't wait to try the 200 watt version.

20. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I'm not so sure. That was my first amp, and I never had much love for it. Granted, it wasn't really the right tone for me to begin with. I always had trouble hearing myself with it, even when I really cranked it. It just didn't seem to get as loud as other 15" combos I've tried. Also, it was HEAVY. Of the combos I've tried, I'd take one of those G-K kickbacks any day.