1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ampeg b18

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by toobalicious, Sep 24, 2008.

1. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    does anyone own one, or can anyone supply cab measurements? sealed, i presume?

i happened upon a couple of those CTS 18" speakers, and was trying to figure out what i could do with them.

2. Vintage-Blue

Vintage-Blue Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Owner, Vintage Blue (repro cabinets)
    Here are the dimensions I got a couple of years ago from a friend with a '65 B18:

24" x 24" x 15.25"

The cabinet is ported much like a double-baffle B15 cabinet, except the ports are smaller, .5" x 2.5". (some B15's were also made with the smaller ports)

3. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    great! thanks! i ASS U ME that these are outside dimensions? and the port--- you mean 2.5" x 0.5" deep, i presume? 1/2 inch baffle? wonder if the whole cab was 1/2"? seems like that would make for a nice flexy rattle box.

i have them in front of me now. they are CTS BG-80 (137-745; 45th week of 67, i guess). smooth paper cone with light doping on the surround only, and about a 2.5" voice coil with a cloth dustcap. 5.8 dc resistance.

seems like i could work up something that would be cool with my bassman 100. for the truly old-school sound......

4. vintageampeg

vintageampeg

Feb 2, 2005
    note -there's the B-18 and the B-18x. The B-18x is a larger cab (don't have the dimensions handy however). actually that's a B-18x in my avatar!

5. Vintage-Blue

Vintage-Blue Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Owner, Vintage Blue (repro cabinets)
    Yes, those are the outside dimensions. The 8 ports were oblong - .5" wide by 2.5" long. They are similar to those in the attached B15 photo, just smaller.

The cabinet case and the inner baffle were made from 3/4" plywood. I believe the grille baffle was 1/2" plywood, just as on the B15, but I'm not 100% sure.

Attached Files:

6. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    ahhh, i see... shouldve looked a little harder at what you were saying. these look just like that one, except 18" obviously.

your dimensions work out to about 122L or 4.3 cubic feet, not counting driver displacement. this provided my math was correct. i guesstimated that the baffle is inset by 3/4" in those figures.

i guess having the vents all of the way around like that make them sort of similar in a way to the fender tone-ring cabs. seems like a pretty un-scientific way doing things. then again, things arent always as simple as they appear. wonder what frequency that works out to?

thanks for the info, folks. not sure if this one is ready for the front burner yet. still, it seems that a pair of these driven by a 100 watt tube amp might be pretty cool indeed. a pretty romantic idea, at least.

7. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    To my fellow Tar Heel - toobalicious - :D FYI - I think you're groupings of numbers is a little backwards for dating the CTS
    speakers. I have not looked lately, but I'm pretty sure the numbers are broken down like this - first 2 are the last 2 digits for the year of manufacture with the last digit(s) being the week. So your number would indicate being manfactured the 5th week of 1974. :cool:

8. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    hello, mr hudson. i think you are mistaken. see this site, which the stuff below was taken from.

http://www.webervst.com/codes.html

[​IMG]
    maybe i am missing something? it only has three numbers (well, six if you count the mfr code).

9. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Hey - thanks for the easy cite to the speaker site. Like I said, I haven't looked at it in a while and I guess some of my remembrance was the fact that, as they stated, the numbering did change somewhere in the early 60s to avoid year confusion. I guess the oldest ones I've checked on for any of my gear was some mid to late 60s Fender & Kustom, and by then, the 2 digits were used. Good luck with your project. BTW - if you find you don't need one or both of the 18s, let me know. :cool:

10. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    hey man, any chance in hades you could pull a tape on your B18x?

i found these pics, though it seems to have the component locations reversed from the one in your avatar :confused: :
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

pretty different than the B15 above. i am such a fliptop newb!

also, if anyone could confirm that the BG-80 did indeed come in a B18, that would be awesome. got a little conflicting info, and the internet isnt much help. the pics above obviously show a different speaker.

from the www, but identical to mine, down to the date code! :confused::
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

BTW, for s&g's i inquired about shredz' custom cabinets.... the quote for a sealed 1x18 with the measurements listed by vintage-blue is $70 plus shipping--- no covering (good bedliner candidates, i think), inset baffle (to accommodate a fender-style grillcloth frame), all hardware (dish and jacks, corners, rubber feet, metal bar handles), and with "braced" 3/4" 13-ply birch. seems like i could barely build one for this amount? i know there are at least a few folks that are less than fond of shredz, OSB bass cabs notwithstanding :eek:.