1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg BA 108 vs v2 - any difference in quality?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dompt, Mar 31, 2015.

1. dompt

dompt

Mar 31, 2015
    Hey guys, i recently moved countries, and just got to purchase a new bass. I was looking at getting an amp and the Ampeg BA108 caught my eye.

I have both the old and the new version available for purchase at the same price, new.

While I personally prefer the looks of the old one, I wanted to know what are the difference in the new version. I know that Ampeg included an overdrive circuit in the bigger new models, but it doesn't affect the BA108. From what I can see, the newer ones feature speakers by Ampeg. Are there any difference?

Also, does the build quality differ?

Also, I play a 5 string, would the 8inch speaker be enough to replicate that low B clearly? Volume isn't my biggest concern, but I would like to be able to hear my tone clearly.

I understand that not many people would have experiences with both, and also some might think I am deliberating too much over a cheap-ish amp, but I do hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance!!

Zontuk and SteveV74 like this.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I like the tilt back better in the new BA108, but to me they sound about the same and have comparable build quality. I have an old BA108 and haven't felt a need to upgrade it, but if I were buying today, I'd do the V2 based on the tiltback alone. I have only plugged a 5 into it a couple times, but I was happy with the sound for a $100 amp. It won't wow you with tons of fundamental low end but it does well with a 5 IMHO.

And never apologize about doing your research. $100 is still $100 and I have to work pretty hard to make it and I'm sure you do, too! OTOH, if you don't, never mind ;)

AstroSonic, Duckophile and dompt like this.
  3. dompt

dompt

Mar 31, 2015
    Thank you very much Jimmy!

4. i had e old ba 108 or i think 110. the tilt back can easily tilt all the way to it's back. othe rthan that, no complaints.

5. dompt

dompt

Mar 31, 2015
    Ok, so in other words, if I want to use the tiltback function, the new one should be better for me.

Thanks very much!

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes. Plus many of the old BA108's didn't tilt at all. I got mine under the wire but it wasn't too long before they went to a flat bottom cab. Glad they brought back the tilt.

7. dompt

dompt

Mar 31, 2015
    Thank you once again, Jimmy!

8. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    I had a BA-108, old style, non-tilt back. It was a great little amp. I played 5-string through it both for practice and to back a small choir with piano. It handed the low-b with authority. Not lots of lows but you don't need lots of lows to cover the low B with clarity.

jeff7bass likes this.
  9. dompt

dompt

Mar 31, 2015
    Thanks for your input n1as!

Yea I understand that you don't need a lot of lows to let the B ring out clear, and was just worried that the 8 inch speaker might not be able to handle. I once had a small practise amp that failed to do so, so I thought I should ask.

Good to know from multiple sources that it handles the low B fine!

10. dompt

dompt

Mar 31, 2015
    Hi guys! I just realised that the V2 does not have effects loop, while the old version have it, or am I mistaken?

I have a VT Bass, and I was planning to bypass the amp's preamp circuitry, so it might be that the old one is better for me.

I had wanted to buy the V2 yesterday, but the last unit got sold on the day itself, before I reached. Now it's looking like a blessing in disguise!

11. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    you are correct... the new model doesn't have effect loop connectors.

I was in the same situation 2 months ago. I was shopping for 8" bass combo amp speaker for my small apartment practice and BA108 was one of the candidates I had tried in local stores. The old one had the effect loop but couldn't tilt back whereas the new one could tilt back but lacked of the loop connectors.

I ended up buying another brand 8" combo which is capable of both.

12. dompt

dompt

Mar 31, 2015
    Hi Aidil!

Which amp did you end up with in the end?

13. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    this one:
    AIDIL-YOGA2%20-%20WIN_20150407_200830_zpsl85sik50.

14. dompt

dompt

Mar 31, 2015
    nice! i'll take a look then :)

thanks!

15. Basist

Basist

Jul 3, 2018
    Hi guys, what means low-b?

16. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Low-B = B0 (30.868 Hz)

It's the open note of the additional lower/thicker string on a 5 string bass.

17. barking_spider

barking_spider

Oct 7, 2018
    I dunno... I don't really like my BA-108 V2 that much. Not loud enough, starts to distort too soon for me. Guess that I prefer a super-clean sound. Once I get my FitzMaurice Jack Lite built and hooked up to my Ampeg PF-500, I'll probably get rid of it.

18. Basist

Basist

Jul 3, 2018
    Got it, thanks.