Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg blown driver... worth replacing?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Nov 6, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I just blew the driver in my ampeg 110. I have heard this portabass line of theirs has alot of problems with blown speakers. I was thinking of replacing it with a Delta 10 or a Celestion 10. The dimensions are:

15x15x12. = 2700cubic inches

Will one of these 10s work decently or will I get crappy sound?

thanks!

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    is it under warranty?? factory replacements shouldn't be too expensive...

speakers are usually very carefully chosen for specific cabs, not just any speaker that "fits" will sound as good, but could sound better if you have money to burn.

use factory replacement and then buy another cab to share the demand for higher volume/bass.

oops didn't read your profile first, if you like the schroeder 12 just use that and save your "repair" money for your next "gas" attack.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Just sold the mini12.

So basically those who replace drivers in their cabs are taking a risk?

4 ohm 10" drivers are hard to find. Plus I think I want an 8ohm anyway to reduce the chances of me blowing it again with reduction in power the cab will receive.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You are unless you have all the facts necessary to do it right. For instance, in your case, is the box sealed or ported? If ported, what frequency is the box tuned to? Without knowing this picking the right driver isn't possible. BTW, the Delta 10 is not well suited to electric bass, and most Celestions as well are best employed with guitar.

5. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    yes bill, this is a good question;if the delta 10 isen't good for bass,then what is?i'm also in need of a 10" replacement :crying:

6. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Ashdown uses a Celestion 10 so I think they should be suitable for bass, true?

Anyway, i am not sure about this whole thing now b/c the delta 10 weighs 12.2 lbs. the original "aura" neo driver weighed 3.25lbs ( i weighed it myself). thats a huge difference. A neo delta 2510 weighs 7.5lbs. Putting in a 12lb driver would bring the weight up to 29lbs which defeats the whole purpose of the lightweight 10" cab. The cab originally weighed a light 20lbs.

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    send it to weber speaker, circuitshop.com, or ampeg service and get it reconed.

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Same answer, you have to know the cabinet volume (net, not including speaker or duct) whether it's sealed or vented and if vented the frequency of the tuning. Then you can use a box program like WinISD (freeware at linearteam.org) to 'trial fit' various drivers to see what works best. The program can also tell you the tuning frequency from the box volume and duct measurements.
    The Delta 10 isn't a good bass driver as it's xmax is only 1.6mm, whereas twice that is the minimum you should be looking for.
    Ford uses Goodyear tires. Does that mean every Goodyear tire will fit your car? Matching speakers to cabinets is no less complicated than matching the correct tire to a vehicle.
    Light weight is nice, but durability is nicer. Aura as a brand is common in home and autosound but quite rare in pro-sound. I'd stick with a brand that has a proven track record for long term reliability in bass cabs.

9. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    using and 8 ohm when its designed for 4 ohm will lower your total volume. you may end up trying to crank it even harder than before to get volume/bass and if you distort the amp it will fry the 8ohm speaker too!

do a recone or original replacement and take it from there. if you blow it again, get a bigger cab.

10. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    If I get the aura reconed, chances are it will blow again. Its just not loud enough. I have read multiple times that the stock aura speakers are crappy and many have complained about blown speakers in the portabass line. Probably why they are no longer in production.

I have also read, more than a few times, that people have replaced the stock drivers with good results... including more reliable, better tone and louder.

11. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    do what you want, but you were asking for advice.

12. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Hey, just trying to make sense of conflicting opinions. Not going to bother with the driver replacement at this point. A non-neo driver would bring the cab weight up to 27lbs for a 110. My wizzy (in transit) is 29lbs so its not worth the hassle.

What does an average re-cone cost?

13. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Very confused. Didn't you own a Wizzy before and sell it because you said the Schroeder 12 was better?

FWIW, I think your insistence (valid though it is due to transport issues) on ultra-low weight rigs that can hang in a rock environment is going to result in them getting worn out pretty quickly. It's like with cars - if you have a slow car and thrash it constantly it will die sooner than a powerful car that can go just as fast but without straining itself.

The best solution would be to use a good compressor, a good limiter, a low cut filter and a good parametric EQ. That way you can get every ounce of volume out of your cab without overstressing it. But it'll require a fair bit of tonal compromise.

I was running 900W through an Acme Low-B2 last night in a loud situation and one can't help but wonder how long the speakers will cope with such constantly high excursion...

Alex

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    circuitshop.com charged me $40 per last time, which was about 3 months ago...nice guys, good results for me...

15. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    yeah... you're right. Its been a bit of nightmare trying to figure out what best works for me. the mini12 was great in every way, but the wizzy is actually lighter than the mini. The mini is adverstised at 28lbs but mine is actually 38lbs. The wizzy is 29lbs. Jorg has a/b the two and has said the mini is definitely louder, and while that certainly is something worth considering, the wizzy should be fine for the small & medium sized venues I play with PA support. If I have any doubts i will just truck out my 1210.

The one thing I remember fondly about the wizzy is its clarity and thats the tone I really seek these days. The side firing mini wasnt as clear IMHO. Also, when I had the wizzy previously I only ever used it with my clarus. With my SABDDI and Boss EQ20 the tone will be radically different.

Alot of this stuff is trial and error for me. I cant tell what I am going to like, beyond the specs, until I have heard it.

I may end up buying another mini 12 in the future, but financial circumstance grants me a new cab only when I have sold something of similar value to pay for it.

16. specplyrz

specplyrz Banned

Nov 11, 2005
    "Ford uses Goodyear tires. Does that mean every Goodyear tire will fit your car? Matching speakers to cabinets is no less complicated than matching the correct tire to a vehicle"

FINALLY, FINALLY a person with some common sense!!! A great analodgy!!!!

17. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Re-cone it, sell it, and get something else. Doesn't sound like it is suited to your purposes. Not knocking the cab, just doesn't sound like it is the right fit for you. Might be able to sell it a little quicker over on the DB side of this forum.