Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Bxt410? Experience?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rickr, Oct 15, 2004.

1. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA
    Hello all, I have done a search and come up short. I was wondering if any of you are familiar with the Ampeg Bxt10 cabs. I know VW and SB had a hand in their design.
    I have had the 410hlf in the past but I am looking for a more hi fi sound.

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I own 2 BXT410HL's. IMO they're smoother sounding than the other Ampeg speakers I've owned or tried. To me, they're warm sounding down low, they have good mids, and the highs aren't as metallic as SWR, etc.

Downside: The BXT410 weighs 122 lbs, and I've discovered that they don't handle a B-string as well as I'd like. But YMMV.

Just my 2 cents. -Art

3. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    you don't think that 2 BXT310s handle the b string too good. I just got a second 410 and the b string sounds pretty good to me. And I run my eq flat most of the time. On a related topic, what amp are you using?

B Easy
    Myron

4. I have a BSE410hlf, and I wouldn't recomend buying one.

Not all that good sounding.

5. Happy BXT 4x10 user here. I agree with Art Poon about the tonal qualities. I haven't noticed the low B response lacking though. I've used them with a GK 800rb and I just got a Mesa Boogie Walkabout. I prefer the Mesa with the BXT. This is probably more of a rock, blues type tone then a High-Fi tone. Very warm. I had a BXT 1x15 and was underwelmed. P.S. the weight is a back killer.

6. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    The BXT 410 is one of the best cabs that Ampeg makes IMO. It has very well rounded tone compared to the other Ampeg cabs.As for the low "b", I did not have a problem playing it. It was not as defined as some other high end cabs, but it was not horrible. I did not like how heavy it was though. After one time of hauling it, I decided not to do it again.

7. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    410/115 BXT stack here. I love 'em. Best cabs you can buy at GC :D

Sounds huge, plenty of low's down to A with the 15 under it. Very hi-fi sound.

I'm only dumping mine to downsize :( I'd love to keep them though.

Troll

8. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    Well I have 2 and love them. I haven't giged with both of them yet. But I look forward to it, at least except for the weight. But I have a cart to take care of that. I find that the b string is pretty good. Not the best. But I've heard worse. The top end is articulate without being harsh like Edens can be. These are probably the most well rounded 4x10s on the market IMO.

B Easy
    Myron