Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peasandpotatoes, May 13, 2005.

1. I'm kind of thinking about getting a new head. Currently I have a gallien Krueger 800RB on top of an Ampeg 8x10E. I was considering getting a svt3-pro, but i was wondering if u guys think i should bite the bullet, save up and get either a svt-cl, svt-ii, or a svt-2pro (essentially any all tube head). My question how does the gallien krueger compare to the svt-3pro, and whether it would be better to get the three pro or go ahead an save up for the all tube head. I play like screamo/ experimental stuff. (ROCK)

lata, conner

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    The 3Pro has a pretty bad reputation for being underpowered. Its also a hybrid head, and while that warmer than the GK its not going to have the real juicy amepeg tone fo the all tube ones.

If that's the sound you're after then save your money for the real deal, the 3pro will probably be a disappointment on both levels.

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i have a 3 pro, i used to play it through an 8x10. it was always underpowering. hell, it still underpowers my 6x10. i would save up for the cl. thats what im doing.

or at least the 2 pro. which is rack mount tube head.

4. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Depends on the cab. I can blow the back wall down with my 3Pro and Schroeder 21012.

And the tone is among the best out there.

As always, YMMV.

5. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    But its not the same as an all tube head, and it sounds like that is what he's really after.

And you could blow the back wall down with a Behringer ultrabass through that schroeder :)

6. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Frankly, I prefer the tone of the 3Pro to a number of the (non-Ampeg) all-tube heads I've owned in the past. Having snapped it up used for $350, it is one of my best finds.

But it's safe to say that he needs to audition all the heads he's considering, and determine which he likes best.

Like I said, YMMV. One player's trash is another player's treasure.

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    GK 800 > Ampeg SVT3 Pro. Mainly for volume. Secondly, I like the tone better when using an Ampeg cab.

If you want an all tube amp on top of that, get a nice Sunn 300T or Mesa 400+ IMO. Much clearer sounding than the ampeg amps.

8. jambassist

jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    i just got a 3-pro and run it through an eden 212xlt. the head is plenty loud and i don't have everything turned up all the way. i think the thing with this head is you have to tweak it a bit to get the volume you're looking for. one thing i can say after playing lots of different amps, the tone is phenomenal. btw, i play in a loud punk/hardrock band and cut through fine.

9. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Yep. Most specifically, that master vol slider over by the graphic EQ section.

But I think it is safe to say that, if someone likes the tones this head can give, they MUST pair it with a highly sensitive, and preferably 4-ohm, cab, or the headroom can be disappointing. I've farted around with mine, connecting it to other cabs, and I do understand the complaints about lack of headroom.

But when it's tied to my Schroeder, your Eden or some other cab that does a lot with fewer watts..... better bring the ear plugs..... ;)

10. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I think this applies to all of Ampegs heads, or at least all the pro series MOSFETs, you have to pair them with the right cabs. With good cabs they sound great with average cabs they sound like garbage.

11. Ive got the SVT II (old one, non-pro, late 80's), i like it but think it needs new/better pre tubes, either way with the graphic EQ on its sweet as hell, only gripe is i wish it had a pre gain so i could get a nice tubey overdrive when practicing in the house, where not many people appreciate you turning it all the way up to get some power section OD, mwahahahaha . . . aaaaanyways, basically what these guys have been saying, 3 Pro is too quiet, i'd personally say got for either an older SVT II or the SVT II Pro (avoid the older types of SVT II Pro, some of them have faulty tube protection circuits that mean they cut out alot for no reason), both are rackmountable aswell so that makes them better :smug:

If you could get a few blue lights in one aswell, then, well, need i even say it?

12. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    I would skip the Ampeg's altogether, except maybe an SVT classic. Get a GK 1001 RB-II.... sweet.

13. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    the volume of either head is about the same, imo the gk is a little louder, but the svt3 has good tone if that's the tone you're looking for. it is fairly versatile, but it always sounds a little bit ampegish to me. (imagine that) i would probably stick with your current head if it's doing the job. the gk is a very simple layout and requires minimal tweaking, but the svt3 has so many tonal options that it's easy to screw up your sound. good for some people but dialing in a room will take some time till you get used to it. it has a fair amount of power but when you slide those bass freqs up it runs out of steam fast. (any amp will do this to some degree) try the svt3 out with your rig (preferably with a band) and see what you think.

14. I run an SVT3 with my 6x10 with no adjustment on the graphic volume. I boost 80hz and drop33hz tot eh ground to give mroe head room...barely and cabs produce 33hz anyway. master volume at 3/4 with a compressor and Im killing to guitairsts and a drummer onstage and at ractice in any room. but now I jsut got the Classic and another 8x10 cab...everyones about to go deaf.

15. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    my choice from what you mentioned is the SVT-II (non pro). If not limited to your choices I'd look for an older 70s SVT head that hasn't been screwed around with internally.

16. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    The 3 pro is a pretty loud amp. I used one for years in a loud three piece thrash band and never had volume problems. In my experience it just takes a little time to dial it in for the best tone/volume ratio. Most people just push in the ultra low button and crank it up which will make everything fart out before you can reach a decent volume level. I used mine with an SVT 410HE + SVT 15E.

Have you considered an SVPCL preamp + poweramp combination? To me the SVPCL sounds better than all of the Ampeg pro series amps (I have not heard the 6 pro yet) & closer to the classic/vintage sound than any of the pro series. If you pair an SVPCL up with a QSC or the like, the total cost will be about the price of a 3 pro.

17. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA

That is definately a viable option.

also.... you say you play "experimental" music... so why not do some experimenting with amps? Go out and find a place that carries the SVT 6Pro and give it a test run. It seems like it was constructed in response to the common theory that the 3Pro is too quiet. If it turns out to be perfect for you, maybe you should invest... but the only downside is that you wouldnt be able to find one used.

If you opt to go all tube, make sure you know what your going for. I'd avoid the 2Pro and look for an older SVT-II. If you feel like you wish to try the Cl, then give it a test run and see if you can dial in something in the ballpark of what you want your tone to be, just to be a little on the safe side.

18. how would the svt3pro sound with an avatar b212?

19. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    It's all in the ear of the beholder. The B212 has an extremely high satisfactory rate with a wide variety different heads and pre-power setups. Its really up to you and what sound preferences you have.

20. well, im no audiophile. i just like it to sound good. (not crate)

how loud could she pump?