1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg is mixing cabs!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wintremute, Jul 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Lvjoebass, Raw N Low and DLemos like this.
  2. Guitar center is selling mixed driver rigs. Not Ampeg.

3. Ampeg shows that same stack on their web site.

I would like to know if they designed and tested all the PF speaker cabinets to work together, (as MB has claimed to have done with the new Subway series).

Probably not, which has not prevented me from buying three different PF cabs, (which I don't mix).

johnpbass, RaggaDruida and DLemos like this.
  4. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Good point.

Good follow-up.

Ampeg: Portaflex Series

Portaflex_BG_Main.

5. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Yeah, they say:
    FLEXIBLE AND PORTABLE
    Mix and match any two Portaflex cabinets to create the perfect, portable Portaflex rig. Or pair your favorite PF cabinet with any high-powered head. The PF-410HLF can handle up to 800 watts!

But they can say "mix it up, baby!" to pretty much anything.

6. I don't think we can dispute the science that proves that random mixing, or placement of bass speakers is likely to result in problems. I believe the effect would be more noticeable at a venue like a large theater, or auditorium that was designed to have amplified sound than it would be in a small bar room not originally designed as a space to listen to amplified music. The small, sometimes odd shaped rooms with unevenly reflected sound waves, combined with an audience of people who are consuming alcohol, who are not critical listeners, and who would not notice uneven levels of bass sound make it not a big deal for the many hobby bands who do mix cabinets, and who also do a lot of other things wrong, (like too loud drummers, and guitar amps, and over-use of nasty sounding effects pedals!) that detracts from the quality of the sound. I help a friend provide sound, who insists on placing subs at each side of the stage, and I have been able to hear the result of comb filtering at large outdoor shows when we have done this by moving around and listening closely. But, I bet nobody else did. I don't gig much, but I would not randomly combine bass cabinets myself.

lowplaces likes this.
  7. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    Ampeg, and almost everyone else, will sell whatever customers want to buy. Educating players to what works best and what doesn't isn't why they're in business. Selling gear is.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I had a 210HE and a 115 HE. The 210 farted out waaaay before the 115 and it couldn't handle the B string so they are a poor match. Sold that and went all Mesa Subway, but if I were to go Ampeg again it would be dual 15's.

RaggaDruida and TAZ like this.
  9. This is a good internet cat thread, but all this talk about amps and cabs is distracting.

10. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    If a company designs their cabs with different sized drivers to be used together, I don't see a problem. We can all probably name at least one or two major brands who have done exactly that and are enjoying great success with those products...why is it so hard to believe Ampeg did something similar?

11. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

It's ok. When you mix them and one blows up, you can sue them for false advertising...which has never happened once in the history of mixing cabs.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's called "maximizing picture space by putting in different models of cabs in one picture."

13. bassrich

bassrich

Nov 20, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    If your amp does not have a crossover don't mix cabs

johnpbass likes this.
  14. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    and this one time....at band camp

15. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    pros not bros
    In the real world, mixing cabs doesn't matter...not even a little bit.

fretlessguy, Lvjoebass, pebo and 13 others like this.
  16. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Until you blow your 115.

17. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com

tzohn, ak56, Scottkarch and 17 others like this.
  18. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the catalogs show mixed stacks all the time.

less wasted page space, and hey, they're probably close enough in design specs to not be too much of a problem.

whether that's as good as a matched stack?...

19. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    In the case of the Portaflex series I can say out of experience that the PF210HE and PF115HE do mix very nicely.
    The only cab I wouldn't mix with the others is the PF410HLF, due to power and volume differences.
    I haven't encountered weird sound waves getting tangled or going astray.
    (and I play small bars to big outdoor festival stages)

Lvjoebass, johnpbass and Ampslut like this.