1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Ampeg PA-500 with AFP2 footswitch

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by poit57, Feb 19, 2017.

1. poit57

poit57

Apr 30, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I just got an AFP2 footswitch for my amp. Button 1 has a red LED while button 2 has a green LED. Button 2 is controlling the Mute function, but I would have thought the indicator for Mute would be red - the same as it is on the face of the amp.

The owner's manual states the following regarding the footswitch jack on the back of the amp.

"On the stereo 1/4" plug, the tip controls Mute and the ring controls FX On/Off."

I did some testing with a stereo 1/4" cable plugged into the footswitch jack without the footswitch connected. On my amp, the tip and ring are opposite what it states in the manual. The tip is controlling the FX on/off while the ring is controlling the Mute function. That would indicate that the button 1 with the red LED is actually wired to the tip and that, by design, the red LED should indicate that the Mute function is turned on.

This leaves me with a question for other Ampeg PF-500 users with the AFP2 footswitch:

Can someone please confirm for me which button controls which function on your amp?

I'm assuming that my amp was just accidentally wired with the tip and ring on the footswitch jack reversed, but I'm wondering if maybe the entire production line was mistakenly wired opposite of how the amp was designed, as indicated by the user's manual.

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

There are no wires involved inside the amp at the jacks. The jack has lugs inserted into holes on a board soldered inside the amp. It's basically foolproof from production standpoint. Plug the part in and it gets dip soldered. It's possible engineering made an error in design.

I would rewire my cable to swap tip and ring ON ONE END and forget about it.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021