1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg PF-350 vs SVT Micro VR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gatlin, Feb 23, 2018.

1. onestone

onestone

Jan 18, 2013
    The PF-210HE is closer to the SVT-210AV and goes a bit lower IMO. The PF-112HLF is the perfect size for home use, and easier to move around though. Personally i prefer the sonic spectre of the 210's. I'd say they're a bit more midfocused and sounds tighter to my ears.

2. Solid state watts and tube watts are exactly the same thing. When tubes reach their limit we tend to like the way they sound more than we do transistors so we perceive them as louder.
    The PF50 is a 50 watt head and should do your studio work perfectly and could work on a relatively sensible gig (It's still only 50 watts at 4 ohms after all, when most bassist wont leave the house without a 500/800 watt head these days).
    The v4b is 100 watts and would be overkill for your studio possibly. Some owners have found it lacks enough power on their gigs. (It's still only 100 watts at 4 ohms).
    The Micro VR is 150 watts at 8 ohms and 250 watts at 4 ohms and should meet most small to medium volume gigs with the correct speakers. However if you really cant stand the always on Micro VR fan and want the best of Ampeg tube tone from an SVT pre amp equipped silent running amp then the PF50T is the way to go IMO. People rarely regret buying quality. Plus you'll have an amazing tube amp to try your 6 string guitars through.
    I own a SVT all tube clone and can honestly say that tubes have a unique depth and presence at any volume that none of my other amps can match 100%.

Gary Bratton likes this.
  3. Gary Bratton

Gary Bratton

Jan 4, 2021
    You know what... I think I’ve reached a (potential) decision: if I’m going to go overboard and do something stupid, I might as well go balls deep and get a V-4B.

This should actually be quieter than the Micro VR, right? Toobz, no fan (I think?), and sexy as eff.

It certainly wouldn’t hurt that it also looks the business. I could use it with a single AV210 without breaking my brain and aim/hope to get another at some point in the future. A couple pictures stolen from other TB posts, hope that’s cool:

1576977_603c7712fcd8dd5ed1b72e70a0787559-jpg.jpg
    78d5dd76-287e-4943-8247-6e7f1e33e2d2-jpeg.jpg

:drool:

Not sure if this is something I would actually think about now or in the future, but I don’t think the price difference between that and a PF-50T with a new cabinet would be that big...and I can keep it in the (SVT) family and get something shiny out of it.

Scary thoughts, y’all...

Gary

el jeffe bass likes this.
  4. I have gigged my V4-B with 2 of the 210AV cabs several times and it has been great. Not as gonad-vibrating with my 5 string as it is with 2 of the 112AV's, but still tight and awesome sounding. I usually prefer the MicroVR with 2 of the 210s as it is easier to transport and monitoring is better with the vertical stack.

Gary Bratton likes this.
  5. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Why wouldn’t you look at the pf350? It’s quiet and has a little more power than the Mini VR.

6. Gary Bratton

Gary Bratton

Jan 4, 2021
    That was my first attempt at addressing the issue, actually. Being the super indecisive mofo that I am, I went back and forth with it, but ultimately decided that I just didn’t love it and sent it back.

The look had a lot to do with it, I’m sure. Yes, I’m shallow. But in a side-by-side comparison, I just really thought the Micro VR had more balls and was better for what I wanted to do.

Ultimately, I think it’s gonna be hard for me to end up with anything other than the Micro VR. And that’s fine. And I probably will attempt to replace the fan. If I can’t, that’s fine too.

I love the little guy. The fan is not really that loud. I was shocked at first, but I’m getting used to it. I still don’t understand why they can’t use a temperature-controlled fan or why the fan in the pf-350 can be so quiet, but that’s beyond my sphere of influence. I don’t hear it when I’m playing, it doesn’t bother me that much when it’s on anymore, but there is this huge sigh of relief and feeling of released tension when I turn it off.

By the way, the fan on the second Micro VR is a tiny bit quieter, or at least the resonant frequency of the whine is lower, but it’s not enough to make any real difference.

I have actually decided to send that one back instead. When I sat down to go through the motions of comparing them, expecting 5 minutes of “yep, sounds the same,” I was surprised to find that I consistently preferred the sound of the other one. Also the new one didn’t sit flat in the recesses of the cab, and I think I even heard some rattles in that head that I didn’t hear in the other.

So, I think that first Micro VR head and I are just meant to be together. :)

Thanks,

Gary

DaveDeVille likes this.
  7. I've put circular black felt in the cups on the top of the SVT210AV to stop Micro VR vibrations/wobble.

onestone likes this.
  8. The V4B paired with a SVT212AV is beautiful thing. As good as it is the SVT210AV is no where near the same quality/performance as the 212.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021