Ampeg PF 500 with PF 210 HE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mbernard110, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Ah. I'd love to hear one of those. I just can't throw that kind of money at an unknown, nor do I pretend that I can build anything beyond a folding chair.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Definitely.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Oh, sorry...never answered about the tweet in the PF cabs. I don't like tweeters, but that one is pretty nice, especially considering it's an inexpensive cab. It's a compression driver instead of a piezo, and the 2 volume presets for it were very well chosen IMHO. If you have to use a tweeter, you could do a lot worse as far as I'm concerned.

4. Ok, I'm also looking at starting with an Ampeg SVT 115E, mainly due to the fact that I like the look of it much better than the vintage style of the PF's. However, I have read that it is only 200 Watts RMS @ 8 ohms. I am thinking of eventually getting a pair of these or possibly adding a svt210AV to it. Any thoughts on these ideas?

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    That 200w is a serious 200w before fartout, not before it blows up. Most cabs are rated for when they blow up but they'll fart out way earlier. The Ampeg Classic cabs are rated for when they fart out. No conventional 115 for bass is going to do much better than 200-250w before fartout anyway, regardless of what they tell you the power handling is.

As for pairing it with a 210av, might be interesting and may sound quite good, but I prefer matching cabs as to avoid potential phasing problems. Some of my gigs I have enough problem with cancellations from boundary effects that I don't need to add to it with phasing.

6. Awesome, thanks! Would you then consider it a better quality cab/build than the PF115? Or is that kinda subjective?

7. The pf cab is cool & sturdy enough, the driver in it's fairly light weight, nice tone, but doesn't handle alotta pwr. (2 of em's pretty cool tho)
    Many reports of the SVT115 hitting above it's rated power handling & being a very punchy beast.
    Outta the 2 I'd only go for the pf if weight was the issue.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Power handling I'd rate the PF115he on a par with the SVT 115e, and the build quality is quite good although lighter, smaller, and a different kind of plywood. The speaker in the PF115he is a 450w thermal rated speaker, and I have two and they can take a really good pounding.

EDIT: I just edited some stuff out about thinking the 115e doesn't go as low as the PF115he, but on Ampeg's website, it says it goes lower. Have to admit I was going off a failed memory, then. It's been quite a good few years since I played a 115e, and I didn't think they went as low as Ampeg says, but they're pretty accurate with the specs, so maybe my memory has failed me.

9. seBASStien

seBASStien

Aug 30, 2012
    Paris, France
    Hello, sorry to exhume this old topic, but i have an issue that i want to share.

I have used a Fender Rumble 2x10" 100w for ten years and I have decided to change my stuff to a bigger, louder setup.
    I bought the Ampeg PF500 and the pf210he cab. Looks nice, but i tried it during rehearsal and i'm not satisfied at all.
    Sound is like muffled and too "round" (sorry dont know the exact english word to explain that) its not bright and i can't notice the difference of power.

I a/b it with my fender amp who is supposed to be less powerful (100w vs 300w), and i defenitly prefer the power and the clarity definition of the Fender. The Ampeg mids signature of the PF500 is nice, but the power is weak, its like the cab is struggling at loud volume to provide good quality sound.

So, i think the problem is the cab and maybe i need to try the head with a SVT410hlf.

What do you guys think of this PF210he cab ?

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well Ampeg does have "The Round Sound" as the tagline on their ads...

I don't know...personally, the PF210he and PF112hlf are my favorites of the PF line. Have you tried using the ultra-hi button? Or maybe the higher settings on the mid selector? Seems odd that it wouldn't be louder than your old Rumble. I wouldn't expect miracles from it and expect it to be twice as loud, but it should go somewhat louder. Or maybe you just prefer what Fenders do. I've heard people like you exist :D No one amp is for everyone.