1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg PF-50T with an additional power amp for bigger gigs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hopturn, Nov 17, 2017.

1. hopturn

hopturn

Sep 19, 2010
    Charleston, SC
    hello all you bass geniuses, once again i come to you for your sage advice...

i've been on the hunt for a new main amp for three years. i want to have the same sound live onstage as i do in the studio, as much as can be expected anyway. i've owned one of the newer Fender Super Bassmans (so close, but not quite what i wanted), an Ampeg V4B (one of the new ones, but it wasn't quite loud enough onstage sometimes without too much distortion...i only like break up when i dig in with my fingers), Genz-Benz 6.0 (still my favorite SS/hybrid amp of all time), a Quilter Bass Block 800 (very close for a SS amp)...and all that time, i've been using my little 50 watt Ampeg PF-50t for recording, rehearsals and small venues. tubey deliciousness...

i REALLY like the tone of the Ampeg PF-50T, especially from the transformer out DI. i have access to a great PA for our corporate events, and usually play in venues with excellent house systems...i've tried in-ears (too sterile for me and my bandmates) and just using stage monitors, but i'd really like to have the option to get "thumpy" onstage when i want. i DO NOT need an 80lb SVT (herniated disc), so my question is this...what is the best solution to my problem? additional power amp? if so, could someone point me to a light, inexpensive one that would match up with my head? to be honest, i really don't need that much additional reinforcement. i've even thought that maybe a small SS head like the new Trace Elliot Elf might be good if it was really transparent. i'm at a loss as to what to do, and i can't afford to keep buying amps when all i really want are new basses!!!

Zbysek likes this.
  2. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Running to an additional power amp should work. I have the 20T and use it mostly in the studio - same as you, I use the Tranny out DI. Love the tone. I've thought about trying out running it to a power amp as well. I think what you would need would be a Low to Hi Impedance transformer (Audix T50 is the one I was looking at) if you were going into, say, the effects return of another amp or the 1/4 input on a power amp. Not sure about a power amp with XLR inputs though.

3. I play a 30 watt Little Bastard at home and on small gigs. It tends to sound pretty loud and full when I run it through my Dually, compared to running it through a smaller 8ohm cab. What are you running that Ampeg through on your gigs?

4. hopturn

hopturn

Sep 19, 2010
    Charleston, SC
    for cabs right now i have two TC Electronic 2X10's (the vertical stacking kind) and a Genz-Benz 1x12. i've tried them both, and the Genz-Benz does almost get me there, but i want to have the option to move a little air when i feel the need.

5. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    I've run my PF-20T thru a Crest Prolite 2.0 into (2) Bassman Neo 410s for outdoors gigs. Worked great.

If I were to buy an amp again to do this same thing, I'd run the PF into a Quilter Bass Block 800.

However, the PF sits better on the Prolite

6. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    As you mentioned in your OP, I think the key is using the 50T with an amp that is transparent.

7. hopturn

hopturn

Sep 19, 2010
    Charleston, SC
    yeah, i didn't think the Quilter met the "transparent" requirement. good sounding SS amp though, and i really wanted to keep it, but i think the 2.0 version will be perfect. i trust Quilter, and i definitely liked the power/size. but i just want to get that Ampeg PF-50T sound onstage just like it sounds in rehearsal...such a sweet amp, and each note i play on my Jazz 5 string just sings, sets in the mix beautifully...just very inspiring to me. is the Trace Elliot Elf transparent? are there other small SS amps or power amps that are better for this application? i'm not really needing 2000 watts...something in the 200-800 range would be perfect to me.

Zbysek likes this.
  8. For a low cost, scaleable solution, how about, (since you mention wanting to "get thumpy") a 15 inch powered Mackie Thump?

http://mackie.com/sites/default/files/PRODUCT RESOURCES/MANUALS/Owners_Manuals/Thump12_Thump15_OM.pdf

Line level/mic level input, and can be daisy-chained to another one. I think of these as more for a DJ setup, but I bought an older one at a thrift store for about sixtyfive bucks, and we often use it for a monitor for drummers. Since I don't have too much invested in it, I don't worry about blowing it up, and so have put the bass, and even some kick in it without any problems so far. We have a lot of very nice EV monitors that everyone really likes, but we have never had a complaint about the Thump either.

I recommend this only as a practical stage monitor, not as a speaker for you to get "your tone" out of.

9. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Not sure on what might be a transparent bass amp. I know when I plug into the effects return of my Aguilar Tone Hammer, to my ears, that power section has a bit of its own mojo going. Your best bet is probably a dedicated power amp but others may have some ideas on bass amps that have a transparent power section.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  10. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    Zbysek and johnpbass like this.
  11. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    What speaker cabinet(s) are you using? That’s the place to start.

13. hopturn

hopturn

Sep 19, 2010
    Charleston, SC
    i'd like to be able to continue using my two TC Electronic RS 2X10's, which are 8ohm cabs. i'd like to be able to scale it for small to large gigs.

14. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    Is the PF able to run without a speaker load?

15. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Endorsing Artist: AlienAudio Basses
    Yes. Very unique for a tube amp.

Zbysek likes this.
  16. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Not really unique, that amp just needs to have an appropriate dummy load when the cabinets are not connected.

17. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Endorsing Artist: AlienAudio Basses
    It it’s internal. I don’t know of any others.

18. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I don’t play any gig with less than two 2x10s in a vertical 4x10 stack. Two take the same stage area as one so I opt for safety. Mind you I use a 2KW power amp to push up to 500W into each 4Ω cabinet.

radbass likes this.
  19. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Most tube amps simply short circuit the output jacks if no load is connected. This saves the amp from problems. You can not safely operate the amp this way long term.

20. hopturn

hopturn

Sep 19, 2010
    Charleston, SC
    typically speaking, you are correct. however, this particular ampeg amp can run without being hooked up to any cabs...in fact, you can have it set in either 4ohm or 8ohm mode...doesn't matter, it functions like a REDDI box, only with better tone. it's a great little amp, and the reason i am trying to find a power amp, or extemely transparent SS amp (or a small SS amp with an insert that goes around the preamp.)

daveman50 and tedsalt like this.