1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg pf 800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Harris2016, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Harris2016

Harris2016

Oct 14, 2013
    I'm looking into buying my first "real" amp. I hate my cheap, practice one to the point that I haven't actually plugged into it in at least a year. I want something that I can jam with and possibly gig with. My budget is $1000-$1200.

I was looking at the ampeg pf 800, and I wanted some feedback on what people think of it.

Also, any recommendations for a cab to go with it?

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Why the Ampeg specifically? Any particular reason? Or just because it's "Ampeg"? :meh:

Not trying to steer you in any particular direction. Just curious what your reasoning is - along with your intended musical application.

MM

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The PF800 is a badass. I don't have one but I've played it a couple times at stores, and it's a hammer. Great tones for any style, easy to get good sounds out of quickly, does both clean and dirty.

As for cabs, Ampeg's got a bunch of different ones. The Portaflex cabs are stout little cabs that only cost $400 and would likely work for you in your situation of just starting to get out and jam, although if you REALLY want to get loud, you might want two of them, or you might want to get a bigger cab altogether. At the store I tried the PF800, they had it plugged up to an 810e and it would go crazy loud. There is a possibility of blowing the smaller PF cabs with the PF800, but if you use common sense and don't turn up louder than the cab can take, you're good (HINT: if it sounds like it's going to blow up, it will).

4. Jheake

Jheake

Jan 21, 2010
    Gilbert az
    If your budget is 1000 or less and you are looking at the pf800 I couldn't recommend the PF 410hlf more. They pair very very well together and the great part is; you can add another cab later for an even louder rig.

With a coupon from say musicians friend or zzounds, you could easily get the PF800 and a PF 410hlf for around 900 bones brand new.

They are killer looking too. That diamond tolex really does it.

The PF800 is a very very good value. 600 new for 800 watts of portable kit, that is all Ampeg tone. These are of course my opinions, but it seems like your headed that direction anyway.

2 PF410s and a PF 800 is a mighty rig.

5. I love Ampeg tone but maybe you should look for something more versatile?...also beeing portable...
    Think about GK MB800, aguilar TH500, tecamp puma 500, etc...
    Cabs... you don't have to buy big and heavy 410, look for something light with high effectiveness of s cab. Many times I've heard 212 which was louder and bigger sounding than 410...

P.S. I have heavy stack with ampeg, GK and GK410 and it sound huge...but when I have to move it or take it on a gig it's a curse :scowl:

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    This "lack of versatility" tag Ampeg gets hit with comes from people who never played Ampeg stuff and saw someone on the internet say it.

7. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Maybe the point suvdecropp is trying to make is looking at various brands available.
    I agree that the PF's are not limited to "the Ampeg tone"... whatever that is.

OP, you are looking for your first amp... and you are saying jamming and to a lesser extent gigging. Why do you think you need something with 800W? That's an awful lot. 800W might be useful to drive crappy cabs in "normal" situations... or awesome cabs in a very demanding (loud) situation.
    Better to go with a cheaper (and decent) lower power head into decent (and more expensive) cabs.

350W @4ohm into a decent cab (or two) would be enough.
    I am not a fan of a particular brand, but a fan of a certain product.
    My recommendation is the Ampeg PF350. In my opinion the most reasonably priced amp on the market. Around here it is about 300€ street price. I'm guessing in the US around 300$? Hard to beat that price.
    That's why I got one. And I wasn't even looking for a micro head. I would've been happy if it was a led-sled.

And with the 900$ left over you certainly can buy a decent cab with money leftover, or two cabs.

8. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I haven't tried the PF800, but did try the PF500 and thought it was ok. I liked the Ampeg 7Pro quite a bit better, though. And I liked the Mesa Walkabout better than the 7Pro - just saw a Walkabout Scout 12 on clearance at my local GC for $999, which is a steal.

9. MJ_Sotti

MJ_Sotti formerly "Mike in Chicago" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    Here's what you do. Buy a used crown XLS 1000 maybe $225, A used sans amp RBI or RPM about the same price, there will be some coming up in the classifieds, and a 410he by ampeg.

That should be less than $1000 and great equipment

10. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Dude, get what you want. In the end, you're the one spending the money and playing it. The pf800 and maybe a 410hle is a great match and they sound awesome together IMO, I don't own them but I have made several trips to my local GC to play the he** out of them and I love the combo (I am planning on getting this very rig myself one of these days). If you want it, get it. I know you're looking for advice here but don't let anyone steer you clear of what you want. Just be smart about, you know, matching amperage with ohmage and so forth, you'll be fine. There is some good sense being made here in this thread by some so take what you need to away from it. Hope you have a nice rig to play through very soon!! :)

11. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    I own a PF-500. Essentially the same sound, and features as the PF-800. I really like it.

If I was buying an amp today, I would get the PF-800.

A PF-800 connected to a PF-410HLF, (or two) would be an excellent rig.

12. JimmyM, my mistake, I should use other words... on the other hand saying something like "Ampeg is versatile like Aguilar or other stuff" is kinda perversion :smug:

Ampeg have a specific character and your love to "A" won't change it.

P.S.
    I have used, I use and I will use Ampeg gear...
    Jimmy, be a little more flexible ;)
    There are many letters in the alphabet, not just "A" ... and each is different does not mean worse than a :ninja:

13. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Good luck with that! :smug:

MM

14. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    The point I was making in the second post was, of course, that oft times new (young?) players in particular have a habit of reflexively going for the first (only?) brand to occur to them - not because they've thought it out, not because they analyzed their needs, and not because they've researched their options - but because they want to get "something" quickly; because they're impatient and impulsive.

Maybe that Ampeg rig is just what the doctor ordered. Maybe not. Maybe that Fender Precision Bass is just what the doctor ordered. Maybe not. But if the player doesn't take the time to conduct some reasonable due diligence, he may never know - until after he's already spent his money and his lived with the results of his hasty decision. :eyebrow:

It just seems like such a low-percentage, haphazard, hit-or-miss, bass-ackwards way to go about it. Yet it happens all the time. The only way some guys can learn is to do it the hard way. :meh:

MM

15. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    That's how a lot of people learn, the hard way. Or the way of experience. That's the way I'd like to refer to it anyway. It's nice to be able to try all kinds of gear before you buy it but not everyone has that option. Sometimes you just have to go with what you know or what you've heard of.

16. Jheake

Jheake

Jan 21, 2010
    Gilbert az
    OP, You should definitely try any piece of gear you have any interest in what so ever.. Go to local shops and ask to play whatever bass rigs they have. Find out if Ampeg is your flavor or not. Try a GK for example, you will notice a large difference in tone. Some love the GK tone and others dont. In the end its up to you. I personally cant stand the GK tone it sounds very harsh to me, but thats my experience. Other guys on here cant live with out them. The TH500 i think is kinda aimed towards Ampeg anyway, correct me if i am wrong here guys, and I didnt think the Tecamp was in his price range. Also something I could be wrong about.

I simply responded to this thread because i happen to own a PF800 with a PF410Hlf, and this setup just plain works. and is well under a grand new. He asked about it, and was given some input.

Just because JimmyM came on here, and replied doesnt mean any one is trying to force Ampeg down the OP's throat as the end all be all. The title says Ampeg PF 800 doesn't it? Cmon guys give JimmyM a break....

:bassist:

17. I have the PF800 and originally paired it with the PF410HLF and the PF115LF.

The amp sounds fantastic. Loads of tone and just right for what I am playing (bass in a Rolling Stones tribute show). It is very flexible with the 5 position midrange control. This seems to sweep it from vintage to modern sounds. In the Stones band I have it set to 1.

The sound of the two cabs are quite different. I personally wasn't that keen on the sound of the PF410HLF and felt the PF115LF suited my application much better. I therefore swapped the 410 for another 115LF, so now I'm rocking the PF800 through two PF115LFs and couldn't be happier.

There are loads of threads here about reliability issues with the pF series. It seems that almost all the problems relate to the early versions of the PF500, and there have been a number of revisions of that amp to address the issue. The PF800, being much newer has mostlikely avoided the teething issues encountered the PF500.

Personally I think you could buy one with confidence.

18. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I would wait until the Holiday sales start and don't forget to look at some used items many musicians start selling gear to help pay Holiday bills so be on the look out. I would also plug your practice amp back in and list everything you don't like about it and do some research to find a perfect match for the sound you are looking for good luck in your search.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    A knob twist will change it drastically.

20. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Kinda interested in this head, if only because I have tried most of the other brands of lightweight heads. One dumb question I have is about those ugly front handles. Can they be removed ? I don't quite get what the purpose is unless you are gonna rackmount the head, which kind of defeats the purpose of a lightweight head. :eyebrow: Anyway, any more reviews of this head, not using Ampeg cabs ?