1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg Portaflex PF-115HE vs. PF-210HE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by terribilino, Jan 1, 2012.

1. terribilino

terribilino

Nov 22, 2008
    Anyone had the chance to sit down and compare these two? I'd be getting one or the other with a PF-500, but I have no idea what the difference in sound is between these two cabs. Every thread I've looked at where someone says 15" = beefy lows, 2x10 = fast pop/funk tone immediately gets a ton of replies saying that it always depends on the particular cab, and that generalizations are useless.

I'd be using it for a school orchestra and as a home amp. Shouldn't be too heavy (Ashdown combos have caught my eye as well, but they seem to be pretty heavy) as I'd probably have to lug it around a fair bit.

Where I live I have absolutely no chance to go and check out what they sound like in a shop. Anyone been down this road? All advice welcome!

Thanks!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Generalizations ARE useless. It's all in the design of the cab and speakers.

In this case, the PF115 goes a little bit lower than the PF210, but other than that, I don't think they sound a whole lot different. Maybe a little more upper mid content in the PF210, but to me it's not especially noticeable. They both sound a lot alike to me other than the lows.

3. Yep, & they both sound (& look) great!

4. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    As far as transporting the rig, the PF115 is a couple pounds lighter. Both cabs have the fliptop feature, so you can tuck the head into the cab.

I think the 15 would be a good choice, unless you really crave more mid-rangey tones.

5. wonderjosh

wonderjosh

Nov 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    Why do you guys think they made two different cabs for the PF series if they sound so similar? Marketing? Because they know some people will only buy 10's?

6. Syncopath

Syncopath

Dec 29, 2011
    West Coast
    In a similar situation as you terribilino. Got the PF500 over the holidays and absolutely love the sound coming from the headphones but am having a hard time deciding between the 115 or 210.

I play a p bass so i'm leaning toward the 210 to bring out some slightly brighter sound, but am not sure if I'll miss out on what the 115 can offer. This is just based on generalized info so i'm all ears for actual experience with either cab.

7. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    I'm an unapologetic fan of good 15" speakers. I love any decent 2 x 15 or single 15 loaded cab. However after having bought a PF210 cab to go with the PF500 head, this is one 2x10 cab that doesn't leave me feeling like I'm missing anything as a 15" speaker fan boy.

RWRhodes, ezra1 and MMC.Jazz like this.
  8. I got the PF-210 because it's the only one I could play at GC, and I liked it, and didn't want to take a chance on something I was unable to try.
    I had also listened to Jimmy M's opinion that they both sounded very similar.
    The tech specs also showed that the 210 goes a little lower.
    And finally, I figured I could get 5 more inches of speaker surface area over the 15.
    Some part of me would love to add the 15 later, even though common wisdom here advises to stick with matching cabs.
    Good luck.

S

ezra1 likes this.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Absolutely.

BTW, while the specs on Ampeg's website say the PF210 goes lower than the PF115, the specs in the manual for the cabs (and my ears) say the opposite.

Lvjoebass likes this.
  10. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I'm a believer in the PF115 myself. Plus fifteens look so much cooler in these cabs than tens. :D

Seriously though, I trust Jimmy's ear in there being little difference. My first experience was a bad one but I was an amateur to the PF500's settings too.

11. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
    I bought a PF500 today (get it wednesday) I had a good look at a PF210 cab in the shop, are the catches substantial enough for everyday use, they looked a bit flimsy to me, I did think they looked nice and compact though :) .

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The latches aren't the least bit flimsy. They are a great improvement over the originals, and Ampeg used the same latches on the Heritage B-15. Mark Gandenberger of Vintage Blue , who redesigned the original double baffle cab for the Heritage B-15, spent quite a bit of his own money making custom latches for his cabs, and has now switched over to these latches for his cabs, too. So if Mark approves them, they're worthy.

Lvjoebass and ezra1 like this.
  13. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
    Good stuff, I just had visions of something giving way if the cab was lifted by the handle every time it was used .

14. terribilino

terribilino

Nov 22, 2008
    Those couple of pounds may just be the deciding factor: I've got my first hernia operation coming up in a few months. (Anyone else notice that getting old sucks, btw?)

15. terribilino

terribilino

Nov 22, 2008
    Wow: this shows how ignorant I am. I forgot to mention that expandability was another important factor, and I always thought that the perfect match for a 15" was a 2x10" cab (and vice versa). I was just wondering what to start with. I can understand rigs from different manufacturers not getting along, but wouldn't a company make sure that all its products blend well with its other products?

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Because it's not that easy to build cabs with different speakers of different sizes that don't have phasing issues with each other. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

17. terribilino

terribilino

Nov 22, 2008
    For some reason I'm leaning towards the 15". The PF-500 seems to offer huge flexibily in the mids anyway. I'm assuming this will come out in the 15"...

As for the low end, I'll trust JimmyM's ears. You play for 30+ years you've got to pick up something, wouldn't you think? ;)

Thanks for all the feedback, guys!

18. I'm wondering thumpbass1, if you are a 15 fan, as I am, why you went with the 2 10 cab, especially considering the extra weight and similar sound, excepting the lows.

19. terribilino

terribilino

Nov 22, 2008
    What would you be hoping for?

20. autumn_spirit_1

autumn_spirit_1

Dec 26, 2011
    im looking at this amp to. but i was planning on buying the 15 and 2x10 cabs. it sounds good from what i can tell and looks sexy to. and its not super expensive like some other amps.

Lvjoebass likes this.