Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg PR-1528HE (15+2x8) thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Transverz, May 19, 2005.

1. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Any thoughts on this Ampeg cab that has a 15 + 2x8's on it? Could it do hard rock? Would it be loud enough to do medium sized venues? Or is this better for like jazz, quieter type stuff? What the heck kind of music does Steve Bailey do anyway? Here is a link:

http://www.ampeg.com/manuals/PR-1528.PDF

Any experience or insight would be appreciated...

-T

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Both of those cabs look interesting, especially if they did their homework on the crossover side of things. They certainly aren't any lightweights, though...

So, who's played through them?

3. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    They are nothing new, but yet not too many people seemed to have tried them or owned them...though I know SOME people have...where you at?! :D

General question: Does 1x15 + 2x8 seem like a less than optimum set up for doing some rockin'? I mean, I guess anything could work for that matter, but I don't have much experience with 8's. My 1x15+2x10 is pretty awesome. Would 8's be a big difference? Volume of course, would probably suffer a bit, right?

4. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Some 2x8's can get pretty loud, but yes, they can only move so much air. If you were running a 2x8 full range and a 1x15 full range, with all other things being equal, I would expect the 1x18 to slightly overpower the 2x8. But, if the crossovers are well done, and the drivers/enclosure are voiced properly, then I think it is certainly possible that a cab incoroporating a 15 and two 8's could sound quite well balanced, and do a great job of rocking out. The ability to use a stereo amp to biamp it is nice, and would let you adjust the volume of each channel to further fine tune the relative balance of the 2x8's and 1x15.

The bigger, 4-way, cab looks intriguing, but I'm not too keen on schlepping a 160 lb cab up and down my basement steps! :eek:

Tom.

5. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for your thoughts. Good point on the balancing of the 8's and 15. I think that's probably what it comes down to. Being able to balance the different speakers to get the sound I want out of them.

And yeah, 160lbs for the 18+2x10s+2x6's?! :eek: I'd pass on that. Might as well carry around those big cabs that we all drool for!

But 100lbs or so? Ehh, not bad. As it is, each of my RR cabs weigh about 60-70lbs and are unwieldy. I'm thinking one 100lb cab would make for a bit more sense if they can sound similar to my current set up. Hmm.

Thanks again...

-T

6. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Isn't that weird that at full range its a 4 ohm cab, but at biamp, it's 2 x 4 ohms?!?! How is that possible? I'm sure it is, but then again, I am dumb. So explain...

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    My Peavey 1820 was the same way, I believe. And I am at a loss to explain. Perhaps Jerrold will set us straight! :p

8. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I played through the 1528 in the store some years ago when it first came out. I wasn't all that impressed. It didn't seem very efficient and I was pushing it with a SWR head, probably the 400, I'm not positive. Something, either the amp or speaker was distorting on the low E when I pushed it hard. Sounded like the speaker to me.Overall, the sound was deep and fairly full but no "punch", and sort of bland. I thought that for the weight and price I could do better. Some might like it though.

I think there are so many better and lighter cabs on the market now that it's not worth getting one unless it's an exceptional deal. I sure wouldn't want to carry one any distance. It was heavy.

9. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I have one paired w/ a hartke ha5000--run it biamped. I don't gig so I can't comment on it's suitability in various sized rooms. I like the rig for the flexibility--you can pan between the 2x8 and the 1x15 on the ha5000--i also like the extra deep cabinet and the 45 deg. angle of the 15

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I tried one in the store, and it just didn't seem loud at all with an Ampeg B5R head.

11. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Tried one briefly, at low volumes, in a store. Sounded good to me, but it was only at bedroom volume. Tried one of the bigger cabs in the manual linked to above, again in a store but at louder volumes with my 5 string. Speaker buzzed, didn't sound too great even besides that. I like to see attempts at innovative cab design, but this one wasn't much more than an attempt.

The Ampeg Isovent cab, now, that IMO was more of a success - not commercially, but a great little cab.