Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg PR-410HLF vs. SWR Goliath III & SOB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by masaki_v, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Greetings. I currently have a SWR Goliath III (4X10) and Son of Bertha (1X15), both with horns.

I'm considering trading both cabs for a new Ampeg PR-410HLF.

Please give me your opinions on this trade! My amp is a SWR Mo-Bass.

Thank you for your time!

2. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    supported by Hipshot, Diamond strings and Clayton picks
    why trade? SWR is great stuff.

3. I'm starting to really love the Ampeg tone....I heard this cab (Ampeg) and I was blown away.

4. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    I use SWR (WM) over the Ampeg because the Ampeg sounds Great until the band starts getting loud. Then it seems to me the bass tone is lost in the mix. SWR sounds good and always cuts though the band. The head is 50% of your sound. IMO!

5. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    I recently traded from a Fender 800 Pro head powering a Goliath Senior and Big Ben to an Ampeg SVT-4Pro powering the PR-410. The nice thing is, I got to compare the cabinets both on the 4-Pro.

First off, I saved a LOT of weight, believe it or not, going to the "lighter" 128 lb 410 over my previous stack (combined weight a little over 200 lbs). It's nice to have a stack I can see over again.

Secondly, the cabinet is much clearer than the SWRs it replaced. It goes as low as that setup, very happily pounding out a B fundamental, and plenty loud for any venue. Anything louder than this, and you'll be in the PA anyway.

Try them both out, but I really thought my choice was an upgrade. I couldn't be happier with the PR-410HLF cab. I'm quite a fan of the sprayed-on finish too. Big improvement over the carpet.

6. Thanks for much for your input, guys. I really appreciate it!

If I do trade, how much can I get for the 2 SWR cabs, in great condition?

I'm thinking $700? Am I dreaming?

Thanks again!

7. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    if you talk to the right person at GC you can get a GIII for $500 new. I talked to a guy today that picked one up used for $350.

Take what you can get, Ebay!
    I got $390 with S/H for my Avatar 410NEO :hyper: