1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT 4 Pro/ 7 Pro Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spoono Ghiefardi, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Spoono Ghiefardi

Spoono Ghiefardi

Nov 20, 2015
    Firstly, to all the "Just do a search" people, I already did and could not find the answers I wanted without having to read through multiple "Just get a SVT Classic" posts. I noticed that the SVT 4 has more tubes in the pre amp section than the 7 pro (the 7 only having 1 tube), does that change the sound dramatically? Or is the 7 pro just a lighter SVT 4? Thanks all. If the ever wise Jimmy has anything to say on this, it would be gnarly. Thanks all

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
  3. Spoono Ghiefardi

Spoono Ghiefardi

Nov 20, 2015
    Thanks, that was a great review. So just to clarify, you don't believe that the extra tubes in the 4 pro make a difference? Because I noticed that the 7 pro goes for less.

4. The 4-Pro is more expensive to manufacture with line frequency power supply (big iron) and Class A/B output typology. The use of SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply that needs much less "iron size") and Class D output which is smaller in component count/size/expense also offers much greater power efficiency.

SirMjac28 and Spoono Ghiefardi like this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The 4 and 7 Pro don't sound exactly alike, but they both sound like you'd expect an Ampeg to sound. I don't know know how much is attributable to the pres and how much to the power amps, but personally I believe the difference is more related to the power amps. But the way I hear them is that the 4 Pro is more tight and clear whereas the 7 Pro has a little bit of sag in it, like a tube amp being pushed a bit too hard. I have a 7 Pro, but I think they're both great and would love one of each.

6. Spoono Ghiefardi

Spoono Ghiefardi

Nov 20, 2015
    Thanks much! 7 pro it is. Its the one I wanted, but I read so many horror stories about them cutting out during gigs that I started looking at the 4 pro instead. Quick question, is it comparable in perceived volume to the SVT CL? You're awesome.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ain't a thing in the world wrong with the 4 Pro, I'll tell you that much! But I am a fan of the 7 Pro, too. It's all good.

son_of_mogh likes this.
  8. Spoono Ghiefardi

Spoono Ghiefardi

Nov 20, 2015
    Well if their both good, loud and the 7 is cheaper and sounds more like the SVT, then its a no brainer on the 7 pro. Plus it has less knobs.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well don't get me wrong...I think they both sound SVT-like in their own ways, with the 4 Pro representing the cleaner side of the dials and the 7 Pro representing the ever-so-slightly pushed side of the dials. But they are both good and will get loud enough to make you sterile. BTW, I'm with you on the fewer dials, although I just ignore the ones I don't need on the 4 Pro, and then it's no more complicated than the 7 Pro.

10. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    The 7 has one magical tube. It gets the tone in my head with a twist of the gain in about two seconds.

Spoono Ghiefardi likes this.
  11. If it were me. ..... I'd
    Buy a NEW 7 Pro. Get a good warranty.

12. Spoono Ghiefardi

Spoono Ghiefardi

Nov 20, 2015
    I think after reading all the threads, im going to either get an Hartke Lh1000 or go the preamp & power amp route. Reliability is my number one concern. Thanks all for the info.

13. andreaska

andreaska

Mar 10, 2009
    Germany
    If it can help for your decision...

I have an PRO-7 for nearly 3 years with no issues. It's an Revison C00.
    And it weights the half of the Hartke. ;)

Regards
    Andreas

14. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    I think the preamp tube section is nice, but it does not do a great job of copying the sound of an all-tube amp (if that is what you are looking for). Like Jimmy said, they do sound like an Ampeg. In my own personal opinion the models that had a driver section with voltage control knob before the power amp sound the closest (like the 3-PRO and 6-PRO) and behave the closest to the real thing. I went with the 6-PRO until one day I grow the nuts to just buy an all-tube Ampeg. One day I'll do it, I swear!

son_of_mogh likes this.
  15. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods!

Im always going to go towards higher power, heavier components, which the SVT-4Pro provides. When I hear about amps that are lighter, in my mind, they are being pushed harder to get the same output. I need reliability and plenty of horsepower. SVT-4Pro is also not too heavy for me to lug around with me, using one hand.

If I needed a spare amp, the SVT-7 would be tempting to try.

son_of_mogh and Spoono Ghiefardi like this.
  16. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    I researched this exact thing extensively and went with the svt 7 pro. They do have some issues with cutting out but mine has worked fine and is a year old, has gigged hard (i am currently playing metal), and powers an ampeg 810.

The 7 has less features like the eq, slightly less power, and some other things that i decided i didnt need. It is much lighter and costs about half as much. I max my gain and love the tube grit and love the tone. I did not play a 4 however.

Look into some of the issues with the 7 cutting out and some reliabilty issues. I got mine new and it has been good. If it is hot and i am rocking out hard, the peak light comes on even with the compression at about 1:00 but mine doesnt cut out and i DO max the gain so i probably push it.

Good luck.

son_of_mogh and Spoono Ghiefardi like this.
  17. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    I've played both and it all depends on what's more important. I prefer the sound of the 4 Pro and the weight of the 7 Pro.

18. Spoono Ghiefardi

Spoono Ghiefardi

Nov 20, 2015
    Hey all thanks for all the responses. It allowed me to research a little better. Due to what ive read and desire, im going with the Hartke LH000, Sansamp Bass Driver and 2 peavey headliner 2x10 cabs. With consesticy, reliability and the general audiences lack of "nit-picking" the sound of bass (*Let me explain this so all yall on TB don't tear me apart. And this is just my humble opinion as a bassit that puts the performance and understanding of music by the "laymen" general music listener, before my "special" tone that I must have.) being my main concern, in MY experience, the audience only hears the "general" tone of the bass. What I mean by that is, to me, the general music listener will only recognize general bass tones like a rock tone, R&B tone, Hip Hop tone, ect. and not the difference in what amp I use. If anyone is wondering how I came to this conculsion, I read an artical where Jack White was talking about how on their first few albums they went out of their way to use vintage amps and do all this super cool poopie to make a certain sound and the listener really didn't care. So on a follow up album, he just used modern gear and achieved the same results, a great selling and sounding album.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I wouldn't call a Telecaster and a new Fender tube amp "modern gear" :D But I do like Hartke and I especially like Larry, so I won't try to talk you out of it.

20. Spoono Ghiefardi

Spoono Ghiefardi

Nov 20, 2015
    Less "obscure" gear I should say.