1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT 4 Pro or Mesa Big Block 750

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stingray_EB, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Hey guys,

Having past by the opertunity of buying an Mpulse 600 due to my needs in my band i am now looking more towards the BB750 or the 4 Pro, Does anyone have any suggestions as to which amp i should go for. We do alot of rock and softer stuff but we sound alot like Alter Bridge. My ideal bass sound is a beefy deep fat sound that doesnt loose too much clarity when turned up. I will be using powerhouse cabs with the head.
    Any opinions ?
    Thanks

2. BBUUUUMMMPPPP

3. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    mesa mesa mesa! the BB750 will be about as loud as the 4-Pro, and it doesn't run as hot. My old 4-Pro ran so hot I could barely touch my hand to the outside chassis. Also, Mesa's are pretty well-known for staying beefy and clean at higher output levels, whereas ampegs start to break up and get a bit flatulent. or at least mine did.....

4. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I'm also into the Alter Bridge sound and I just placed an order for a BB 750

will be using it with a Mesa 4x10 and 1x15 cab and a MM Stingray 5 (black/maple fretboard)

what cab will you be using?

5. well Im tied between 10s or 12s to go with the 15 Im thinking 10s for more punch. The thing is Id love to have the powerhouse but if I ever need to go louder than 550 watts then Im shafted, 2 4ohm cabs or a 4ohm powerhouse , I'll be using practically the same setup as you minus the maple fretboard !

6. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    im using 8 ohm cabs

4x10 powerhouse and 1x15 powehouse

I don't think i'll need to go more than 550 watts

So you already own a powerhouse 1x15? ohms?

7. Bue92

Bue92

Dec 7, 2007
    Trondheim, Norway
    Bchmorro, may I ask how much you will pay for the BB 750. And where you live/ordered from?

8. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I think its $1,200

9. well i think Im going to order the BB750 but apart from that I have nothing but the bass this will be my first real rig as the bands starting to take off across here, touch wood ! Also to add i doubt i would need the 2ohm 750watts, plus if i ever change heads to something that cant do 2ohms i'd have to buy new cabs.

10. Its ridiculous that you can get it across in the states for that price , which is around 600 gbp, im having to fork out £1,500 which is like $3000 :( I hate where I live.

11. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Yeah, go with the 8 ohms.

I bought my PH 4X10 at ebay and I didn't know it was 8 ohms. I was actually looking for a 4 ohm 4x10 because I only planned on using a 4x10.

I got stuck with the 8 ohm cab and I really wanted more than 280 watts and thats why I ended up getting the 8 ohm 1x15.

12. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I live in Nicaragua,
    I buy everything in the states and ship it.

The shipping cost for the PH 4X10 was $600.. (it was also repacked in wooden crates)
    so we both end up paying close to the same price :p

13. Anything the 4 pro can do that the BB750 cant ? - apart from mud :ninja:

14. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Ampeg user here -

From first-hand experience, the Big Block 750 sounds great. Great clarity.

I have yet to year a good-sounding 4-Pro live.

15. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    yeah, the only Pro series heads that have a really lively, colorful sound live are the 2, 6, and 8 pro. The 3, 4, and 5 all sound quite dull and sterile. The Mesa hybrids, however, get a nice, juicy, beefy tone. It's odd so many vegetarians play them. Ben Kenney, Paul McCartney, Mike DAntonio, John Campbell... the list goes on.

16. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    IMHO, the 4-Pro is a great head, capable of some awesome tonal variety, and plenty of headroom, YMMV. For almost 3 years, my main rig was a 4-Pro and SVT-610HLF, and I loved that combination. I would respectfully disagree with K-Funk's assertion that "the only Pro series heads that have a really lively, colorful sound live are the 2, 6, and 8 pro. The 3, 4, and 5 all sound quite dull and sterile." My 4-Pro was anything but dull and sterile.

Having said that, I also love the Mesa BB750. And, if you're into the Alter Bridge sound, live anyway, Brian Marshall uses the Big Block 750 and PowerHouse 4x12, so you can't go wrong there. I got to see them live a couple months ago, and his tone was spectacular, especially up close to the stage, where you could hear more of his rig and less p.a.

IMHO, both heads are great, so it comes down to preference and taste. If you can, check them both out. My 2 cents anyway. :D

17. djsoxfan44

djsoxfan44

Dec 29, 2007
    I couldn't agree more. The Big Block is a great rig, however the SVT-4Pro is no slouch ether. I am of the assumption that it is "cool" to dog Ampeg :scowl:. If you pair a 4Pro up with the Pro cabs, the result is a great "Colorful" live sound. I have a Pr-410H, and a Pr-15H, and they will shake the neighborhood. I can dial in a variety great tones with my 4Pro, and there is nothing "dull and sterile" about it. I'm also trying to figure out what "Mud" sounds like, cause there is no mud in my 4Pro. Also, I have had my Ampeg in a rack case since 2000, and it has never even come close to running hot(I check it after ever use, cause I read so much about them overheating). IMOI, you can't go wrong with either head. Though your best bet, would be to try them both out, and hear for yourself.
    Proud Ampeg SVT-4Pro User :D
    Ampeg Club Member #235 :bassist: