1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT 7PRO or GK 1001rb II ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassMG, May 30, 2011.

1. bassMG

bassMG Guest

Jun 19, 2010
    I have been using the SVT 7 at church. I got the gain at 3/4 or 3 o' clock, (full would be like 6 o'clock). I got the master at 12 o'clock straight up; no pa tie in. Im thinking of switching to the 1001rb. At GC, IMO the 1001 at 700 watts seemed louder than the SVT 7 at 1000 watts. I was using a 810 cab for test purposes. At church I use 2 Avatar sb12 8 ohm 1x12 cabs.

2. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    you want to change your rig because of ... ?

3. Yep I don't get it either. Why do you want to change?

4. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    my svt pro with the gain at noon and the master at about 10/11 is the loudest i have ever needed it for a gig without pa support (even outdoor gigs with 2 loud guitar players/ a loud drummer/ keyboard etc). I play through and ampeg 410 hlf.

If i understand correctly, you want a new amp because you feel the Gk gets louder than the ampeg???? I couldn't imagine playing with my 7 pro at that volume insane amount of volume. Part of it could be the way you have it eqed or how much compression you are using. IMO to get a different amp just b/c it can get louder is not too smart, unless of coarse you need a louder amp. I could understand if the ampeg sound was not your thing. IMO tone and everything else should be considered first when you are talking about amps of 1000 and 700 watts.

5. bassMG

bassMG Guest

Jun 19, 2010
    I feel like I paid more money for less watts IMO. The tonal difference is not a big factor for me. The prices are close, the weight is close, the warranty of the ampeg is better, 5 years vs 2 for GK. The ampeg has more add on's, ie compressor, headphones, jj preamp tube etc. But the 1001rb moved more air through the 810 with the volume setting only at 9 oclock, not even close to the mid point? The GAS in me is saying pick up a used 1001rb II and keep both?

6. bassMG

bassMG Guest

Jun 19, 2010
    I feel like I paid more money for less watts IMO. The tonal difference is not a big factor for me. The prices are close, the weight is close, the warranty of the ampeg is better, 5 years vs 2 for GK. The ampeg has more add on's, ie compressor, headphones, jj preamp tube etc. But the 1001rb moved more air through the 810 with the volume setting only at 9 oclock, not even close to the mid point? The GAS in me is saying pick up a used 1001rb II and keep both?

7. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    Something doesn't sound right there. I have played the 1001rb and I wouldn't say the the GK is louder than the Ampeg especially to the extent that you are describing. Where do you set your compression? You do know that the setting of the compression effects your input to the amp right? If your comp. is set really high it would effect how loud the amp gets. (Don't take that as an insult to your intelligence, just checking b/c it shouldn't be as quiet as you seem to be describing) Sounds like you have a big case of GAS.

8. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    Looks like you are equating watt with volume - it's not an entirely straight forward relationship thou.

Case in point, you were using different cab(s) for the volume evaluation. The 810 is a lot more efficient than the 2x 112.

9. bassMG

bassMG Guest

Jun 19, 2010
    Thank you, BassBob1,
    I got it set at straight up at 12 o'clock, during some slap I bump it up and down with some finger play.

10. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    i keep my compression right around 9 o'clock. Just enough for me. It keeps the clipping just under control. I actually let the clip light come on a bit to get a little warmth from the tube. Setting the comp at noon will rob you of a good bit of volume. Try setting it lower and adjusting the gain to taste. babebambi also makes a great point. If you only played through the 810 with the GK and not the ampeg, the GK should seem much louder than the ampeg. My 7 pro is much louder through an 810 than my 410.

11. bassMG

bassMG Guest

Jun 19, 2010
    "At GC, IMO the 1001 at 700 watts seemed louder than the SVT 7 at 1000 watts. I was using a 810 cab for test purposes."

Thanks babebambi,
    The A/B comparison was done using the same cab at GC, a Ampeg SVT-810E.

12. I would think that the 1001rbII is louder because some have said it's louder than the Pro-4.

I found in my experience with the 1001rbII, that all that power is not so useful through a big 8x10 (that gets loud easily) but very useful through a smaller cab that requires a powerful amp to get going. The bigger question is if you prefer the tone of the GK more I guess.

13. bassMG

bassMG Guest

Jun 19, 2010
    Thanks joeydavidson,
    If I disliked the sound of one or the other it would be a non-issue. To answer your question I thought the SVT 7Pro and the 1001RB II, both sounded good.

14. bassMG

bassMG Guest

Jun 19, 2010
    Hey joeydavidson,
    I got the GK 1001rb II in my home. I A/B'ed it with the SVT 7pro. I used one of my Avatar SB112 1x12 cabs, eq set flat on both heads, MM SR5 bass (yr. made 2000). IMO the GK 1001RB II has more headroom / db's. The GK's bottom bass frequency rattled erverything on my walls and cabinets (with eq flat). I didnt get that rattle stuff vibe from the 7Pro(with eq flat)?
    The Ampeg SVT 7PRO is class D power technology. I can probably match the GK's loudness and fullness with the Ampeg, but I would really have to tweak the eq and boost filters to do it. The GK sound is more like my old Ampeg B2r and Fender & 700rb heads. Im going with the GK 1001rb II.

15. jad

jad

Aug 29, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I don't understand why you didn't turn up the Ampeg more if it wasn't loud enough with the master at 12 o'clock, or fiddle with the EQ if it didn't sound like you wanted it to. It seems to me that the 2 x 112 Avatars would be your limiting factor in terms of your ability to get loud.

Let us know if the GK made a difference on the gig.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Geez, how loud do you need to go? And if you don't care for its flat EQ, move some knobs. If you like the sound of the GK head better, that's a different story, but basing your choice on loudness when both amps will go way more insanely loud than any church should ever need is no reason to switch. Me personally, I like the sound of the 7 Pro much better, but the 1000RB is a well respected amp that's been around a long time, so I think either are good choices. Me, I'd rather work with the 7 Pro's EQ. So what if you have to turn a couple knobs? As long as you get what you want out of it, that's what matters.

17. DonBorelli

DonBorelli

Feb 1, 2009
    I had the SVT 7 Pro. I didn't think it was THAT loud. Isn't that typical with SVT pro amps? They are rated very generously.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the GK is way louder.
    Even my new (dirt cheap!) Kustom DE300 HD seems louder than the SVT 7 Pro.
    We are talking 300 watt vs 1000 watt here. That is messed up.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The watt rating for amps is pretty doggone specific. It's pretty easy to get busted on bogus wattage ratings in this day and age. Many Ampeg amps just require you to crank the gain pretty hard to get all of it, but it's in there, otherwise we'd know about it.

Besides, playing loud isn't about watts...it's about speakers.

19. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I've owned both. I preferred the Ampeg.

20. Plstrns

Plstrns

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    I think the 7Pro is as loud as any other 1000W amp.

The difference is the 7 Pro (or any Ampeg) wants a lot of input gain but it gets gritty-Ampeg. If you're trying for an ultra clean tone another amp may be better suited to you.

BTW, my clean on the 7 Pro with a US Cirrus bass is input gain @ +/-2 o'clock, volume set where needed. You have to turn the clip light on rather consistently with Ampeg.