1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT Classic NO POWER!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 3ebjunkie, Aug 25, 2012.

1. 3ebjunkie

3ebjunkie

Aug 25, 2012
    I have an ampeg svt classic from the mid 70s. One day the amp simply stopped turning on. I tried to switch the fuse and still got no luck. Any reason this could be happening? Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

2. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Do you have basic electrical troubleshooting skills? If so, pull the amp out of the case and start metering the AC from power cord to power switch to power transformer primary to power transformer secondary to rectifier bank. BE CAREFUL, IT'S A TUBE AMP, EMPLOY BEST PRACTICES, TYPICAL PLATE VOLTAGES ARE PRESENT, YOU CAN DIE, and all the rest.

If you don't have basic troubleshooting skills, there's not much you can do yourself.

You didn't say whether those fuses are blowing. I'm assuming they're not.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Could be a bum tube, possibly a power tube. If you have any spare working tubes, try swapping them one at a time to find a culprit. If that doesn't work, take it to a tech.

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    So look around back, and see if any tubes are glowing when the thing should be "on". Orange glow in middle of the "stuff" inside the tube.

No glow..... bad fuse, loose power connection, etc, etc. bad fuses can be replaced, ONCE.... if they "blow" again, take to tech. Otherwise take to tech if fuse is not bad, or if replacing does not fix it.

Tubes glow..... and amp is not switched to standby....... loose power connection, etc, etc. Take to tech.

Basically, if you are asking, the answer is "take to tech". Otherwise you would instead be asking something more like "OK I have a loose wire, but no schematic, where does it go?"