1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg V-4B gigworthy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassgrackle, Apr 20, 2018.

1. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Our soundman doesn't really like that as it catches all of the other instruments and frequencies. To him the DI is way better.

2. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

It catches very little else in close-mic'ing.

rodl2005 and Bugeyed Earl like this.
  3. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    He very much prefers DI as it way cleaner in many ways to him. I tend to agree.
    He told me if used all tube amps, he would mic or use line level DI. But I use SS amps, so...

4. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I think you miss his point. He gets his sound from his amp (Mesa Titan), but the PA carries it to the audience. He's talking about a very large festival rig where he can crank his Titan with little worry of overpowering the mains.

baxter_x likes this.
  5. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    That is just exactly it! Thanks for your input ;)

Wasnex likes this.
  6. backin82

backin82 Jack of a Few Trades Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I certainly hope its gigworthy! I just got one a week ago, and fully intend to put it to such use!

Moosehead1966 and catcauphonic like this.
  7. bassgrackle

bassgrackle Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2010
    I just got mine today and I’m taking into rehearsal tonight. Can’t wait to hear it.

backin82 and Wasnex like this.
  8. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Congrats! Which speaker are you using for the reveal?

9. bassgrackle

Aug 17, 2010
    Tonight will just be the F115. Should be plenty for the rehearsal space. Along with my 1979 Inca Stingray (and maybe the MTD Saratoga 5, if I’m feeling crazy) I used my LWA1000 last rehearsal in this studio with the F115 and it was more then enough power.

Wasnex likes this.
  10. Meantime look forward to another 3 pages of advice.

11. bassgrackle

Aug 17, 2010
    Well I didn't get the F115 into the studio last night, I had to park about a half mile from the studio. But I did bring the V-4B and my trusty 1979 Inca Stingray with Flats. And I used the abused SWR 4x10 8ohms cab that the studio had.

And the tone that I got from this combination was hands town the best I have ever had. The room we used last night was loud, my drummer was loud and my guitar player cranking his 2x12 orange combo was pretty loud, and my gain was at 1 o'clock and my volume was at 11 o'clock. I don't think I would have to be louder in most small to medium sized gigs then I was last night. And if needed a second cab would have been more then loud enough.

That F115 is a bit of a hassle to carry around, so ....
    Now food for thought, do I keep the F112 and F115, or sell off the F115 and get another F112 for easier portability?

Or sell the F115 and pick up a SVT 112AV to stack on my SVT410he on the outdoor gigs and give me the portablity of the SVT 112AV when I'm playing smaller spaces.
    Or sell the F115 and pick up a second SVT410he to pair with my current SVT410he for outdoor and large gigs.

I hate non matching cabs, so I would have to get some new grill cloth to make all the SVT stuff match.

jdubbass38 and JimmyM like this.
  12. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Glad the V4B worked out. I gigged with a blackface Fender Twin for quite awhile so I now the job can be done with 85 watts, but I am lot more comfortable with at least 150-200 in reserve....just in case. Lot's of people on TB say a Aguilar DB359 and Orange AD200 don't have enough juice, and these amps are significantly louder than a Twin.

IMHO regarding speakers...keep what you have. As I mentioned earlier one F115 should be almost identical in volume to a pair of F112s with this amp. I get that the F115 is harder to carry than one F112, but is is harder than two?

If your really bent on selling the F115, decide what you really need, will benefit from the most, and what you must have. Consider the types of gigs you do, how frequently you need the desired options and how critical each option is.

13. bassgrackle

Aug 17, 2010
    Yeah I know the F115 is a great cab. I am going to try to install casters on it. I think I can pull off putting some skateboard trucks on the back and no get in the way of the tilt back feature.

14. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    V4B has plenty O' power for me. We all know that for additional volume, increasing wattage does little to get the job done. Want more volume? Bring another cab. I believe the V4B's impedance switch is 3-position. This means it will do 2 Ohms. This means it can power two 8x10 cabs. With this, and careful tone shaping, you could absolutely fight your way through ANY mix. ANY.

jdubbass38 and catcauphonic like this.
  15. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    And man, I gotta say my V4B/410 plays real well with the few pedals I have. Both the fuzz & distortion sound better thru this setup than thru my Genz hybrid heads (w/212) that I love dearly.

Late last nite when I couldn't sleep I took em and headed down to the rehearsal space for a bass bath (where the Ampeg setup lives these days, since the GBs are more portable for gigs & at home practice), & I thought the play nice pedal bonus was just another reason worth mentioning to anybody that's considering getting one.

:bassist::bassist::bassist:

JimmyM and Son of Wobble like this.
  16. My V-4B reissue is significantly louder than my old Pf-500 if that means anything. Definitely not as clean, but no one buys a V-4B for the clean tone.

Son of Wobble and bassgrackle like this.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I did.

18. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Is the V-4B truly louder, or is that perception?

I've got a v-4B and love the clean sound. Particularly with the upper registers and round wounds, the notes are so bell-like and musical, sometimes it sounds like a Rhodes electric piano to my ear. The amp makes me want to play cleaner when I practice, generally, rather than raunch it up.

JimmyM likes this.
  19. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Hey Bubs!

Here are the two opening tracks from the new album from "THE OCTOPUS" featuring TB's own bass monster @Matt O .

This is my favorite pair of opening tracks in a rock album in a long while. These guys really bring it.

Anyone that loves a good hard rockin' space opera is advised to get the whole album. Mega.

catcauphonic likes this.
  20. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I'll be the Voice from Over the Fence.... ;)

I had a vintage V4. I had it tubed and tuned up by Skip Simmons, out in CA, so I know it was running well. I lived near him then, so no shipping involved. I also had him do the capacitor mods to make the Channel 1 circuit fully the same as a vintage V4B.

At the same time, I had (and still have) a vintage Traynor YBA-3 (rated: 135W) and a vintage SVT.

I sold the V4 because I could not get enough clean volume out of it - even through my Bergantino NV610. I also ran it with an Aguilar GS410 and some smaller cabs. I would run the volume up to 11 or 12 o'clock and it would be pretty loud. And you'd think there was a decent amount of volume left, but no. From there on up, it might sound a bit louder, but mostly you're just dialing up the fuzz. And I like clean.

This was playing as part of a 3 piece, even in not small, but not big rooms.

I kept the Traynor instead of the V4 because it would go a small but noticeable amount louder before it started to get some fuzz. And I actually think the tone is just a little nicer.

If I need louder than that, then the SVT comes out. Or my SVT 2 Pro. Or my Peavey MiniMEGA 1000. If 1000W won't give me enough clean volume, well, I guess I'll have to buy a second 810...

Son of Wobble likes this.