1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg V-4B gigworthy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassgrackle, Apr 20, 2018.

1. I have a 1x15 mesa cab, the drummer is a former rock drummer using a Rogers kit from the 70's. He gets told to play softer as well. Clean bass, I keep the volume and gain around 3 o'clock to keep it quiet enough. The rhythm and lead guitarist play electric guitars on 50 watt tube amps and the singer plays acoustic through the P.A. and we generally play halls or outdoor gigs for 1-200 people. Couldn't tell you the size of the drummers sticks though. Sorry.

Downunderwonder likes this.
  2. Schmo_bass

Schmo_bass

Dec 28, 2017
    Wow THAT is bass tone!. Really great bass playing too.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  3. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Yes it's a great tone. But I think the amp has just a little thing to with it.

bassgrackle likes this.
  4. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Are you concerned about breakup of the speakers or the way the cab will handle the amp breaking up? Dial down the tweeter on the Fearless and I would think it would sound quite nice with a driven tube amp.

5. bassgrackle

bassgrackle Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2010
    My concern is the way cab will handle the lower power and get that distorted tone you don’t want. I am looking for the tube break up not speaker break down. I turn the tweeters off most of the time. Depending on the room.

6. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Given you say your band keeps the stage volume relatively low and the variety of speakers you have, I would think a V4b would be a relatively safe purchase. A 410he with a V4b is a pretty natural combination.

A pair of 410he's should be about the same as running an 810e. Same 32ohm drivers I believe. Did a quick search of TalkBass and some argue the 810e has a bit more low end.

7. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Sorry not following your concern? Everything I have read about two way cabs with cone mids (in lieu of tweeters) says they sound great with distortion and tube overdrive. Tweeters....no so much. Is there something I have missed?

8. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Could you tell me what the speaker breakup is? I've seen that many times on TB, but never understood the thing

9. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    It's a form of distortion produced by an overdriven speaker. Here's an article that explains it: Speaker Breakup Explained

Korladis and MattZilla like this.
  10. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Add an HPF to your signal chain: tight low end, Protect the speakers, better stage volume and FOH dispersion.

Stack your cabs to get closer to ear levels. Move more air gives you more volume. With one cab, I suggest using a stand.

11. By 3 o'clock I meant 9 o'clock, volume and gain at 25%

12. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    An HPF..... Bought my first one a several months ago. I'm still kicking my ass for not having one before!
    You can crank pretty much the low end you want without fearing for you speakers. And you tone remains clean and almost impossible to muddy.

13. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Yeah, I found him by accident when I was collecting tone ideas for my $$5.
    He can play without overplaying, something I wasn't so good at in jazz band with a bari sax.
    Just the weight and manner in which he delivers his standby lines live is something I aspire to.

I listen to his clips as a warmup to remind myself to play, don't stab notes and make those weird side things happen when you are overplaying and trying to be noticed.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  14. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Are you referring to the heft of his tone? Or to those gigantic biceps he's sporting?

Good to have an ally with guns like that, for sure.

15. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    If I could lift and get that big, yet maintain flexibility, I'd be down.
    Turning 44 this year.
    At various points in my life I've been #1 on a jackhammer taking down 90-120yds of concrete daily.
    Throwing 40lb blocks I'd cracked nice and pretty for myself into a rock box, rinse & repeat until 4:30pm.
    Count down the boxes until I know my day is done.
    Still never been half as big as that dude, and I was taking down loading docks in San Francisco after the 89 earthquake in high school to make $$$. (also HS girls love it when you are a beast with a wad of $20's)

The heft is that timing when you are all locked in.
    Nothing feels out of place.
    Hands are working easy, steady and sure.
    Like watching a guy smooth n easy swing a 400+yd home run, hit a 3pt like it's nothing, Tom Brady throwing lazer beams......playing is just as much how you are feeling as what you are doing.

Start solid, be solid, mind feels clean and everything runs good all day.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  16. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

At an outdoor festival?

I'm all for cranking amps, but at an outdoor festival even I'm going to use the PA.

17. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Yes on outdoor festivals. I tend to consider I've spent years to achieve the tone I want and I have now. PA will never provide me that tone. So I don't want to rely on the PA,only my rig.

18. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    One of my fondest memories is of playing a Blues Brews and Barbecues festival when my main rig was the much loved SVT plus coffin. Big wooden outdoor stage, large PA/monitors etc and packed crowd. My rig seemed to couple at just the right frequency with the hollow stage, acting as an additional amplifier. Huge bass sound, poor frustrated sound guy didn't need to put anything through FOH. I suppose I could have done the sensible, mature thing and turned down but just for that one gig I cranked the svt and loved it. Very selfish, never done it again as I would normally turn down a bit and use the monitors more, partly influenced by over imbibing on the sponsors' products, but hey just occasionally you have to be young again.....:D:D:D:D:D

jdubbass38 and JimmyM like this.
  19. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Why not just mic the cab?

20. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    You must mean the 1×15 was not nearly enough. I can't imagine needing more oomph than the V4B paired with a decent 4×10 or 2×15 (or a really good 212) for any bar to medium club. Add a second cab if you think you need it :cool:

My 'master only' 70's V4B & 410 rarely gets turned up past 11o'c with our 5 piece (admittedly sensible decibel level) post punk outfit. Though, sometimes I go to the rehearsal space in our off time just to take a bass bath, and that sucker is rattling anything that isn't nailed down by 2 o'clock :bassist:

Korladis likes this.