1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg V4 OR GK 800RB + VT Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xsogol, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Here's my dilemma...

I have a bead on a great used V4 (not a V4B) for cheap and I'm REALLY jonesing to get that tubey tone with my PBass or Thunderbird (I'm looking for a Martin Turner/Dave Hope/John Glascock-ish (that doesn't sound right....) type of rock tone...I play predominantly with a pick).

I already have a GK 800RB which I love, but does not do the tube thing so well (obviously). Would the SansAmp VT Bass pedal get me "close enough" to the tube tone I'm looking for or should I snap up the V4?

Thanks!

2. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    it depends how 'close enough' you want to get...

if it were me i would get the V4, A/B them, then decide for real. the main difference between the V4 and the V4B is that the V4 has a reverb circuit, and maybe the tone controls are a little different [i think]

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 If at all possible, try both amps side by side. Otherwise, it's a crapshoot whether a pedal will make you happy.

4. Good point. I will try to see if the store I can get the V4 from also has a VT Bass I could try.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I love the VT, but no matter how good it is, it's still a stompbox and just doesn't compare to a tube amp while you're playing, so I'm back to using tube amps just because I love the interaction with the tubes. Maybe it's not important to you, so yeah, your GK + VT would be the second best thing to an all-tube Ampeg. All depends on what's important to you.

6. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    Two Words: V 4

After owning this amp, I will never own another solid-state amplifier. I love the way it sounds, and in my opinion nothing can duplicate it.

7. Will a V4 sound as good/work as well as a V4B for bass? Is the difference just the reverb and slightly higher voicing?

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    That's pretty much it. The EQ points on the V4 are better for guitar.

9. karter2000

karter2000 Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I have a nice old V4, and it works great for bass. Most of the techs I've talked to said that there is little difference between the V4 and V4B, even factoring in the different eq points.

I would certainly vote V4.

Lyle

10. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    GK 800rb + VT bass = great tone and fairly tubish, but it's not going to exactly emulate an all tube head.

11. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
  12. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    They aren't even that much different. The mid selector on the V4 is 300/1000/3000, on the V4B its 250/800/2500, and I would assume the bass and treble controls are also centered on similar frequencies.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Gotta tell you...being able to select 800 is pretty important to me. 1000 is the gank frequency for bass, IMHO. Unfortunately, that's the one thing about my 69 SVT that the newer ones improve upon.

14. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    "They aren't even that much different. The mid selector on the V4 is 300/1000/3000, on the V4B its 250/800/2500, and I would assume the bass and treble controls are also centered on similar frequencies."

on my V4 and V4B, they both have a mid select switch that says 300/1000/3000.

on my 1970 V4, above the switch it just says "1 2 3". without the lo switch engaged on the V4B (and i never use it anyway), its almost impossible to tell one from the other.

15. I use a VT and GK and it does sound very very close to a tube ampeg when going through my ampeg cab, but like Jimmy said the VT is second best to an all-tube Ampeg

16. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    The only thing better than a V4 if a full blown SVT! :D

And yeah as said, the mid selector doesn't have much impact if you don't use the "lo" toggle... which you probably will not.

17. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I wish I knew stuff like that. I just randomly push buttons 'till I get a sound I like. Would be better if I had some idea of what I was doing. :confused:

18. Probably not!!...The bottom line is how it sounds, isn't it?

19. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I have a V4 and the difference b/w the V4 and V4B is that the V4 has reverb (but you don't have to use it).

I also have two SVT-II (non-pro)'s and that is where you'll get the better tube tone that I believe you're looking for.

20. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    My V4 is 300/1000/3000 as well. I got my numbers from the manual on ampegv4.com.