1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AMPS AMPS AMPS ands 8x10's. help me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pd1134, Oct 2, 2008.

1. pd1134

pd1134

Aug 27, 2008
    Chantilly, VA
    ok, i need a new head. I currently own a svt 6 pro but i need a head that will sound just as good but can be plugged into two 8x10's at once.

So what are some good heads that can be plugged into two 8x10's at once. I have heard pretty much nothing but problems with the svt 8 pro so try to help me out otherwise. Maybe mesaboogie has something? Please Help!

2. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Either an actual SVT or a Mesa 400+ should do the trick.

3. pd1134

pd1134

Aug 27, 2008
    Chantilly, VA
    like the SVT-CL?

and how many watts are those heads. i dont think they'll be as loud as my svt 6 pro will they?

4. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    +1 Since you're looking at a 2 Ohm load when driving 2 810 cabinets, you need an amp that will safely handle it.

Tube amps such as Ampeg SVT CL/VR, or Mesa 400+ or Titan V12 allow you to select a 2 ohm load.

Connecting those 2 cabinets to an amp thats rated at a minimum of 4 ohms is not advisable and may result in smoke at gig volumes....

Another option would be to get a SS head to drive the other cabinet.

Randy

5. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    A CL is what you need. I power 3 cabs with mine @ 2ohms, and it doesn't even flinch.

6. Watts are rated differently from brand to brand - and probably product to product too - so often mean next to nothing.

One thing that's certain is tube amps are louder watt for watt then SS amps in very simplistic terms. An average 200W tube amp is probably gonna be louder then an average 600W SS amp, depending on how you use them.

*EDIT* looks like you've already got your answers :p

7. pd1134

pd1134

Aug 27, 2008
    Chantilly, VA
    whats an ss head?

8. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    pd1134

SS = Solid State.

As for whether a vintage SVT, SVTCL or SVTVR will drive two 810 cabinets with sufficient volume, there are no worries there!!

The argument of tube wattage versus Solid State wattage has been debated a lot in this forum. The SVT is rated at 300 watts. To the ear, it's louder that 300 Solid State watts and if history serves me, it was originally designed to drive two 810 cabinets when it came out in the 60's.

randy

9. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    GK2001RB
    Eden WT800
    GBE1200
    Ampeg SVT4pro
    Mesa Titan V12
    SWR SM1500

Any of those would do the job well for me

10. Bassmore

Bassmore Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Virginia
    PD1134,

If you have a little time, like waiting until around Halloween :eek:
    Acoustic Amplification (acousticamplification.com) will be rolling out their B600H Head to Guitar Center (GC) Stores. It should be a comparable "Monster" to a 300W RMS SVT (original), me thinks. I know to some that sounds somewhat blasphemous but that's not to take anything away from the original SVT (made back in the day, in the USA!). Anyhoo, the Price tag? $499.00! Yes, that is quite shocking I agree. They will also be rolling out their own 8x10 (B810) but it sounds like you already have that well in hand. Anyhoo, again, The B600H head (btw: it's a Solid State (SS) head, that which Acoustic was famous for back in the day) will serve up 450W RMS @ 4 Ohms and 600W RMS @ 2 Ohms. I think it's the latter scenario you are looking to hit with your two existing 8x10 (4 Ohm) cabs. Well, if your a little curious as to what the new Acoustic has been up to since they started getting pretty serious and bringing "bigger stuff" to market back in May of this year, you may want to visit their website and perhaps visit your local GC to try out their B200H head and their B410 and B115 cabs. The B200H is only 200W, but those are what I call "Old School Watts" and the head has an incredibly tonal EQ pre-amp IMHO. Anyways it may be worth a listen. You could always buy the B600H when it comes out, take it home for "try outs" with your two cabs and if your not diggin it...take it on back...the next guy will buy it. I only say that because sometimes some cabs and amps just don't for whatever reason like to "play nice" with each other.

Play On!:bassist:

Good Luck,

Bassmore

11. Another option is a Carvin B1500.

12. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    I drive two 4 ohm cabs with an Aguilar DB750. It handles the 2 ohm load no problem.

I'd also consider just getting a poweramp and lining out from the head you have now if you're happy with the tone it gives you. If your amp is in a rack, you can get a couple 1 space poweramps that can do the additional 4 ohms to drive the 8x10 pair and only add 11-18 lbs. to your rack.

13. What kinda tone are you after anyway, are you really set on the Ampeg vibe, or are you perhaps after something else? What 8x10s are you driving as well?

14. pd1134

pd1134

Aug 27, 2008
    Chantilly, VA
    my tone is very overdriven, not so much that distortion sound but the sound that no matter what string you hit you have that "clanky" kinda new string sound, you know? I have my bridge very low to help that "clankiness" haha, but the best way to describe it is pretty much the tone on every time i die's newest cd, The Big Dirty, track number nine to be specific. I pretty much mimiced that tone. I use a sansamp bass driver but only until my RPM comes. The sansamp is the only reason i can get that tone. I mean i have and SVT 6 Pro and the tone is good but the sansamp just makes it so much more full and defined.

I have currently an Ampeg 8x10 (the one with three 1/4 inputs on the back if that makes a difference cause i've seen some with only two) and will be hopefully getting another one.

I am open to anything you guys could suggest. I got ampeg because its...well...standard haha. (better safe than sorry when you are too impatient to try out things before you buy them i say haha)

i just really love that, i guess its that tube sound. Especially because i play really heavy hardcore and the guitarists are always trying to be louder!

15. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Have you tried running your sansamp through a poweramp?

Once you get the RPM it may be a good option...though I've never tried this kind of setup, perhaps someone who has can provide better info.