1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amps: Carvin vs Mesa Boogie vs Acoustic Image

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by GregL, Oct 10, 2009.

1. GregL

GregL

Oct 6, 2009
    Need help. Appreciate all your input.

For my NS Design base I am considering:
    - Carvin 515N
    - Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout
    - Acoustic Image Contra

Question:
    - Carvin (new amp) has semi-parametric mid sweep tone controls PLUS contour adjustment PLUS 9 channel graphic EQ. Is this redundant or can you really make a difference with all these controls

I'll be playing the bass at home and in small venues.

Thanks all

2. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Sorry to exit off the thread so soon, but I've tried all of these, and the new GK MB210 was so impressive that you may want to try it out & the MB212 is coming very soon. 35lbs of fury.

3. The Mesa Boogie has more "Tube" character/coloration and a punchier midrange voicing than the AI will have. It has an all tube preamp which is pretty fat for electric bass. The semi-parametric eq is really absurdly powerful for cutting or boosting specific frequencys. I rarely use the Mesa parametric eq, if you have a great sound going in, and you like the voicing of the amp there is not a huge need for it. You can get a really hot saturated sound though by cranking the input gain. I selling my Mesa Heas because don't like using it for upright anymore. I am going for a cleaner, Acoustic Image sound but the Mesa's sound may work well for the NS. Hope that that helps.

4. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    I'm a fairly recent convert to the Carvin world (for this discussion, I'm referring to my 510N combo) and can say that having all of those controls is actually quite nice. Contour is useful for dialing out some mids in a general fashion and the sweep controls give you the ability to further tweak your sound. I tend to lightly touch all of those controls and use the eq for finding the sweet spot of each room.

5. GregL

GregL

Oct 6, 2009
    Thanks for all the good input. I am getting the CRT base - Traditional with no magnetic pickups, though still electric. Does that color anyone's advice?