Some discussion and opinion on the merits (or lack thereof) of boiling strings has existed for some years now. Many people have felt that any positives have been offset by the problems of the changes promoted by the definitive rise in temperature during the boiling process, it's destruction of string temper. It’s often been reported that a brightness returns for only a minimal amount of time and the strings return to their dull state possibly because the temper has been compromised during that process. I believe I may have an answer to this issue of extending the life of an expensive string set. That is to look at what the boiling process entails. It is generally acknowledged that boiling removes the minute particulate matter that builds in a set of round wound strings from skin cells and dirt accumulated in the windings. I therefore attempted to try something different. I used a variety of very thin viscosity solvents to immerse the strings in and set about to see what could be drawn off from that process. I also found that certain solvents boil at substantially lower temperature than water! Acetone for instance boils at 56 C, (129 F : a very hot day in the desert) substantially lower than water. Obviously no flame could be used so a hotplate would need be employed in that instance. But what of simple immersion? Simple immersion takes time and movement to achieve a substantial level of “crud” recovery. Depending upon the solvent used a comparison was setup as to the extraneous material found from a boiled set of strings and one that was simply immersed in differing solvents. This obviously was not a very science oriented testing medium as there was no way to determine how much extra material was in each set of strings. However it superficially seemed that certain solvents DID achieve profound results in removing that build-up. Acetone, naphtha, toluene, xylene, ethyl acetate, & methanol were all used. These are examples of both polar & non-polar solvents (water solvency). The most profound effects were consistently found in solvents that could dissolve in water. Raising the temperature to boiling were in most cases far below that of water (boiling). In the case of acetone raised in temp to 50 degrees centigrade (122 F) enormous amounts of material were recovered and the strings achieved a brightness (Rotosound) that sounded new. They also maintained that beyond three weeks which appeared to be fairly close to new. This may be viewed as a lack of alteration in temper of the steel. Therefore it might be possible to bring back life to old strings using this technique. Strings that had enormous amounts of material within the windings cleaned up very quickly is acetone. Xylene. Toluene, and methanol appeared less effective. While Naphtha appeared to be quite effective also if allowed to remain in immersion for 2+ days with some shaking, etc. I do NOT look at this as a standard thing to do, however it DOES appear to work quite well. It’s down-side apart from a fire danger is that “wrapped” strings wear into tatters, etc. The results were interesting for at this time I have been using a set or Rotosound strings that sound so close to brand new, it’s very surprising. NOTE: 4 used sets of strings were tried. The best result achieved from boiling acetone on a hotplate within a water bath. A set of Rotosound, 2 sets of Yamaha, and a set of GHS strings were all tried in various configurations and material examined afterward. Both time immersion and heat were measured & tried. The water-solvency (solvents) all boiled at WELL BELOW that of water. ALL the solvents achieved a degree of activity that were similar to boiling water (they removed a majority of "crud"). The standouts were acetone (boiling and naphtha (non-boiling). ALL string sets appeared to sound new & since (there were a limited number) each set has an individuated level of crisp sound, etc; it was too difficult to make a marked determination as to what was actually best with what. However, if completed with a water bath & hot-plate: fire danger accounted for - this technique appears viable with immersion being the safest obviously.