Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Analogman clone chorus

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pacojastorius, Feb 6, 2006.

1. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    it arrived today, its got to be the best chorus pedal i've ever heard and used.
    plus the great thing about it is that you can use it live, no volume boost and it doesn't swallow up your notes like the digital pedals, Boss etc. you can play bass or solo lines and they really sound clear even with deeper amounts of chorus.
    mine is with the fixed deep mod and normal medium size case, very sexy;)

2. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    I just decided to buy only the best gear. So now I'm looking at Analogman chorus. There are mini chorus and regular chorus, this is the same thing, but there are different options for each of them. Is it depth toggle what you've got on your? What about mix knob? is it usable? There is a bi-chorus as well, not quite sure which one is better for bass.

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Best bass one is any chorus clone with deep mod, the Bi chorus is 2 standard chorus's in the same box you can switch between 2 settings but you can't have them both on. Mini Chorus Clone is same as the regular one only smaller.

I wouldn't worry about the mix knob it's still available internally on the mini so you can adjust it but generally it's a set it and leave it sort of thing.

4. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    Ok, so i will go for regular chorus with depth toggle. Thanks.

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Well most people just get the depth toggle hard wired in so its always on deep mode just sounds better for bass

6. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    yes theres not point getting a depth toggle unless you play guitar as well, that way you can use it deep for bass and switch for guitar.
    i only use it on bass and it sounds great, infact analogman mike suggests going for the simpler version, it's all you need and plus i heard most guitarists prefer the deep sound as well.

7. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Yeah mine has the hardwired deep option, saves $25 and having to bother with another switch to screw with / hit accidentally. :)

8. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    YES, RIGHT ON MAN;)
    in fact i never realised how many things sound great with chorus, i thought it was just an 80s sound with my other chorus pedals, this thing makes your sound very organic even very funky :p

9. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i love mine too. its amazing to hear the difference when you switch to high quality pedals.

i got mine with the Deep switch because i also play guitar through it, but mostly i just like options.

you just cant go wrong with AnalogMike.

Hopefully, i will get my BiComprosser in the next few months. :)

10. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    hey, what do you htink about the bicomp? a lot of folks on here have said it's no good for bass. have you heard one?
    thanks im really interested in getting one

11. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yes, it is. it is a planned addition to my pedalboard. I borrowed on and found no more lush chorus.

12. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i havent heard one yet. i play guitar also, so if it doesnt work on bass i can always try it there. plus, i have a black finger that i love on bass so thats my backup plan.

and if all else fails i can probably sell it and get what i paid for it since they are on a 1 year-ish waitlist.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I went on a quest a while back fo the best bass chorus pedal I could find and ended up with the AnalogMan Clone Chorus. Needless to say, I was not disappointed. This is one beautiful sounding pedal. I did opt for the switch, as I play a little (very little!) guitar, and I do some recording. But, one added bonus of the switch is that it is actually a 3-way toggle. "Regular", "Deep" and "Both." I find that I do generally perfer the Deep setting, but the middle setting (which I think uses both capacitors or whatever) is also quite usable for bass and adds a bit more high end presence.

IME/IMHO, you can't go wrong with this pedal if the budget is reasonable for you.

Tom.

14. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    There's some really good info in this thread. The Analogman sounds like a killer pedal. Have any of you owners compared it to an MXR M-134 Stereo Chorus? Form the descriptions thus far, they sound quite similar. Very warm and organic. Also, is it possible to achieve an "over the top" effect from the Analogman? I own an MXR but I wish it wasn't quite so subtle. Maybe the Analogman is what I'm looking for. Thanks.

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    IME, you certain can dial in what I would call a dramatic effect, but what I love about the Clone Chorus is that you still tell that you are playing bass and it still sounds musical. Some truly "over the top" sounding pedals take it too far for my use.

16. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    yes that's the key, this is a very musical chorus pedal. sure the others have lots of nobbage and can drench your tone in chorus effect but they all fall short when you want to use them in a gig, record something or just sound sweet.

17. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Ok. Thanks for your opinions. I think I'll have to check one out sometime. Cheers.

18. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Many folks (incl me) think highly of the BiComp for bass... it's the one compressor I use on my board, after having also tried the Demeter, EBS, Barber Tone Press, RNC, 160A, and several others that escape me at the moment. The BiComp's CompRossor side pretty much mails the sound I like to hear in a compressor... the Juicer side is somewhat less useful for my own needs, but still very cool for when I'm going for a kick-drum type of effect. The only pedal compressor I prefer is the Restrospec Squeezebox, which I don't use on the live-board due to its size and rarity/value.

19. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    just found out that i am still a few months from getting my BiComp. :(

**must be patient**

20. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Is that due to back order?

I am begining to wonder if I should not get a 160 and get the Bi-comp instead. When money allows of course :D