1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Andrew Weiss and his sound

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by imlegend, Apr 14, 2010.

1. imlegend

imlegend

Apr 14, 2010
    Anyone know what kind of setup/effects Andrew Weiss used in his Rollins Band days? Especially on End of Silence.

2. imlegend

imlegend

Apr 14, 2010
    Gosh, such an underwhelming amount of info. Thanks a bunch.

3. MooseKnuckle

MooseKnuckle Guest

Apr 8, 2010
    I thought he used some kind of Fender P, and a Hartke 4x10 with a Hartke head, and a distortion. Wish I could help more.

4. HOOLIGAN

HOOLIGAN

Dec 21, 2007
    Cowtown, USA
    I remember ( both from an old Bass player mag & my own
    memory seeing both GONE and the ROLLINS BAND several
    times) that he had a GK RB800 w/ Hartke cabs. I also believe he used a ProCo Rat and something MXR-
    I remember a Yamaha BB, but forget if or what kind of Fender he might of used. (YouTube is a great tool for this kind of research!)

Her's a picture of him w/ the Yamaha w/ GONE;

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3863568&id=109580064384

And a ROLLINS BAND video-

5. GK800RB Head with something else in his rack (maybe a guitar preamp for the distortion) Harke 4X10 Cabs, 90's pbass with the longer upper horn and rosewood fingerboard. A Fender Precision Plus I believe with a PJ pickup configuration. What type of pickups I don't know possibly stock. For sound effects...sounds like some type of envelope filter w/ a distortion pedal.

I saw them @ LOLLA in 1991, they opened and NAILED IT very powerfull!!! I also saw them @ the ROXY around the same time, Steven Perkins and Chad Smith went up and did a little jamming. Steven played percussion, congas I believe and Chad played half of Sim Cain’s drums.

6. bassness

bassness

Jul 16, 2006
    Chicago area
    Tube Screamer or a Boss Heavy Metal II for the distortion. I'm not sure what he used for envelope or delay. I used to hang with him a bit when they came through on tour. Very cool guy.

7. great199

great199

Oct 31, 2012
    I came looking for info on what gear he used to get his sound. I saw them a number of times in the late 80s early 90s. Tuned out after Melvin left, I guess Chris bailed too. Andrew had the most amazing dirty bass tone I have ever heard. I remember Flea copping a similar tone soon after Rollins Band got hot. I dont blame him though. I just looked at some video thinking he was using a straight P bass from memory. It does look to be a PJ with the jazz pickup removed. The neck pickups look to be mounted in some kind of black goo lol. He was bad ass,one of a kind and I miss that line up, and I want his tone for some things damn it. Here is the link to the video