Another Adam Clayton Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gjohnson441496, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I don't get it. He has Warwicks with his name on them. He has multiple Fenders. It kinda diminishes the whole idea of a signature bass doesn't it? Not knocking the guy or the basses, but it seems a bit much.

2. byoung93888

byoung93888

Sep 29, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    He must have a really good agent to land all these endorsement deals, good for him.

3. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    Yep. I should make him a bass.

4. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    I've never seen anything like it. I like this bass though. and this one...
    Adam Clayton Jazz Bass®

5. byoung93888

byoung93888

Sep 29, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Thats a great bass, i shouldve kept mine really. I have one of his new p signatures and it is a very good one too.

superdick2112 and gjohnson441496 like this.
  6. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Maybe he likes having more than one bass?

GregC, JakeyBran, Wisebass and 7 others like this.
  7. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I'm guessing that he can get a sig from pretty much any company he wants. He and his band have more money than God (if God had money).

GregC, Wisebass, 96tbird and 3 others like this.
  8. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    Are you saying he's no different than the rest of us? :bassist:

GregC, Nino Valenti, kobass and 8 others like this.
  9. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    Yep, and probably, like God, there's no need to carry cash or credit cards

10. Dasgre0g

Dasgre0g DasGre0g Supporting Member

I think other than the Warwick and the green Fender Jazz Bass.. Everything else is just a limited addition of some sort for a little extra excitement

gjohnson441496 likes this.
  11. What's behind this signature-thing is what PR guys and the advertising industry describe as "image tranfer". For me it works, but in the completely opposite direction: I can not decide what I detest more: the artists or the companies.

12. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

It was a gift given to him by the Moser watch company. He's a zillionaire who collects fine watches. God knows how much he may have spent on fancy watches. I'd be surprised if any basses like it will for sale to the general public, which is a different thing than all his "signature" basses from guitar makers.

"Adam Clayton is a bassist with style. He’s an avid collector of fine watches, and now he has just the instrument to match. H. Moser & Cie teamed up with Wild Customs to gift the U2 bassist with a gorgeous custom bass that brings his passions together."

pudgychef, Joebone, Leiria and 5 others like this.
  13. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Why?

14. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    It's not a signature model, it's a gift. And holy Moses (Moser), it's gorgeous.

But now back to the rapidly-degrading discussion on the evils of signature models...

15. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars: Ulyate Pickups & StringJoy Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I don't think he is even that great of a bass player honestly. They are way more talented players that could benefit from a signature model yet he has like 5.

JRMK, -Asdfgh-, Liam Wald and 6 others like this.
  16. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    He leads Robert Trujillo in signature basses, 3 to 2!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  17. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    Takes many different basses to play all those 8th notes.

-Asdfgh-, 4001, blacktocomm and 5 others like this.
  18. Reminds me of a female bassist named Rhonda something who was endorsing a different bass or string company every year, year after year.

19. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I have never and will never buy a signature bass. People buy them thinking they are going to sound like the bass the artist uses. In reality, many artists make modification after they receive their basses from the manufacturer. For example, I remember reading an interview with Marcus Miller and he said that the first thing he did when he received his basses from Fender was to send them out and have the preamp changed. So people were buying the Marcus Miller signature bass and it wasn't even what he was using. This is typical of signature basses.
    Most signature basses are just stock basses with an artist's name on the headstock. There may be some minor differences depending on the artist such as the bridge or pickups but the overall cost to produce them are relatively the same. Is it really more expensive for Fender to produce a stock MIA bass with an artist's name on it than it costs to produce one without the the artist's name? The answer is no. Yet people spend several hundred dollars more just because it has a name on it. I don't get it. In my opinion, it's just an excuse to artificially inflate the price of a stock bass.

Root 5, TalHaz, MEKer and 2 others like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021