another Fender Custom Shop bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joeyl, Aug 28, 2013.

1. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    <<
    Geddy Lee&#8217;s famous black &#8217;72 Jazz Bass, purchased circa 1977 from a pawnshop in Kalamazoo, Mich. Lee bought it as is, with no original case, for $200.
    >>

It's quite the irony then that the MSRP on this Custom Shop version of his '72 J is $8000.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You could have someone build that bass for under $1,500, most likely.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Not the Fender Custom Shop.

4. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Yamaha & Grosbeak. I’m Marc!

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    Meh. Not very interesting. May as well get an AVRI or an actual black '72 Jazz.

5. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    Specs list the scale as 35". Think that's a typo? Actually, the metrics add up also 889mm=35".

Attached Files:

6. I'm thinking it is a copy and paste typo, no Fender bass of that era were 35" as far as I know.

7. Alder P Ashman

Alder P Ashman

Aug 27, 2013
    USA
    The Adam Clayton signature bass must have gone over well. Perhaps so well that it gave Fender cojones muy grandes to come up with an MSRP that high for the Geddy.

8. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex

Dec 29, 2011
    Down South
    If I live to be a hundred years old, I'll never understand anyone paying that much for an instrument that is new yet it's beat up as if you've played it for decades and not taken very good care of it.

Even at the MAP price of $4800 that's WAY TOO MUCH for that bass.

9. boamedt

boamedt

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    I laughed so hard...it was hard to stop

10. Right_Butterscotch64

Right_Butterscotch64

Oct 18, 2012
    It's still a 70s style jazz with a badass II bridge. Cool. But not at that price.

Wonder how it compares to the Japan and Mexican geddys?

11. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Yamaha & Grosbeak. I’m Marc!

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    FYI, $200 in '77 is equal to about $771 in 2013. It doesn't really make a differnce, so I'm still very meh.

12. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    I have a FrankenGeddyLee Jazz that I think can hang with just about any J that I assembled from (mostly used) parts acquired from various sources over the course of a year or so ...

MIJ Fender Geddy Lee body w/hardware but no bridge from eBay: $100
    MIJ Fender 70's reissue Precision neck from eBay: $250
    Raised A and D pole pieces Jazz pickups from Lindy Fralin: $175
    Fender American Standard bridge from TalkBass: $30
    DR Marcus Miller 105 - 45 Fat Beams from Musician's Friend: $20
    Fender tug bar: $5

Total: $580

A degree of dumb luck was involved here with how it all came together so nicely. The vintage 7.25" radius neck feels very much like the limited edition MIJ Noel Redding J necks which were kinda chunky for a J ... bordering on a "petite" P profile. It also fit snuggly in the neck pocket which is always a good thing. The raised A and D pole pieces Fralin Jazz pickups are simply the bomb and have great tone and superior string balance. The useless (short of being retro cool) tug bar completes the package. Pretty damn good for a total hack job bass.

13. Yeah....I don't get the fascination, but hey, if ya got the cash!

My Wife would shoot me in the head repeatedly....:D

14. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    Says right in the ad, that Geddy uses oil on all his bass necks, and this bass will feature the same.

But lists poly here?? :confused:

15. Right_Butterscotch64

Right_Butterscotch64

Oct 18, 2012
    I hope it's carrot oil.

16. Sounds like something I would do instead of buying that bass.
    One I don't have that kind of scratch, two I think it is overpriced for what it is, three they don't even care to get the info correct on the website :bag:

17. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

A Roadworn Geddy for $8000.00.
    Way to go Fender. :confused:

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    If you are rich fan of Rush's who plays bass, you will own this bass if it means enough to you. That is who this bass was designed to sell to, not anyone else. Time to get over the fact that not everything is made to sell to us proletariat.

19. msaone

msaone

May 13, 2012
    They're right about the "limited" part. Cant see too many people throwing down that kind of cash for in essence a beat up J bass.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021