Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another "I got a great deal don't you hate me" Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fealach, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Guitar Center knocked one out of the park here.

Mesa Boogie D-180, with road case. Really dusty inside, but in spectacular shape for its age, a couple slider knobs off and some slight scratching on the front.

I saw the tag and thought they must have forgotten a digit, knowing GC's prices on classic gear.

Nope, it was right.

Since I had snuck out from work (they shouldnta left me unsupervised) I had them hide it behind the counter for me, and returned after work to check it out.

Wow.

So now it's happily at home, and has me thinking of selling my 400+, my 300T AND my Super Lead. It's a KILLER amp, for bass and guitar. Cleaned up, full of JJ 6L6s and my favorite preamp tubes, it floors me. My guitarist (also a bassist) pronounced it the best amp he's ever encountered.

Oh, and it has the graphic EQ.

$250.

The cheapest head in the store.

2. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Yeah, a classic boogie for $250!

I hate you :spit:

3. Cougar207

Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    I've been keeping my eye out for one of those, but havent seen any go for less than $500. Nice find. :bassist:

4. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Yeah it's fairly official I hate you. Damn what a deal.

5. Sweet, But don't sell your amps, the more tubes the merrier.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Killer Deal! (Dibs on the Super Lead if'n you were serous)

7. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Semi serious at least. Have to see how the 180 likes Greenbacks with guitar. My bro already expressed interest, you're next if it comes to that, but I'll want to become a supporting member here before I sell anything to a tb'er, otherwise it wouldn't be right. I'll let you know what's up when I find out, it might be a while yet though, he's even older than me and doesn't like to move too fast. ;)

There's a pic of it in its ugly glory on top of the stack here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2424672&postcount=2188

It came from Ebay, I wouldn't even call it packed. The cab was busted, I still have the shards, but the front panel had to be cut to fit the new cab. These suckers are tanks, it still works fine, it lives in a Crate head enclosure. It cost $85 to buy the Crate amp and dispose of the innards vs hundreds for a new Marshall style cab, and the Crate cab's awful tough. Plus it confuses people who look at it. Doesn't like cheap tubes, Rubys had it screaming, but with good tubes it's wicked. My tech says KT88s are just a bias adjustment from the EL34s, tried my JJs briefly and it was sick. LOUDER than stock if you can believe it. If I keep it, it's getting set up with them.

8. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Wow, me = sad :(.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    well... you were not pitching your other stuff, seemed like a joke to me ;)

BUT, I felt I should express interest just in case you are serious. If it comes down to it, I'll add $20 to the price and give it to Paul on your behalf... sound fair?

just keep me in mind and PM if you move and your bro doesn't :smug:

10. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Dude, nice deal. I loathe you and everything you touch.

11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    James REALLY wants a tone similar to mine for his top end. :p

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    not really... I sold you the Sceptre remember ;)

I might have a gig being the 2nd gui****... that and the cabinet I've got lined up will be smokin' :smug:

13. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    It's funny, if the timing had been just a little different I might have SWAPPED my Peavey Classic 400 for the Sceptre... I dig its tone on the samples. The 180 does that guitarish distortion thing superbly though as well as loud N clean. Big bro surprised me and moved quickly on the Marshall, got a deposit on it. He's going to (putting earplugs in now) use it for clean guitar with a halfstack, along with a 50 watter he has already that'll be distortion with pedals and eventually mods.

14. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    You scurvy DOG.

Joe

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

Cool Deal! Thanks for the chance and the heads up!

;) Sean woulda been beat then huh :smug:

16. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Another chapter in this little story. I did end up selling the 400+, and trading the Marshall for a cab to use with my crazy old Fender head. Brought the 180 over to play with the band, and decided on the spot to sell the Sunn; but this leaves me without an amp or cab at home.

So I went back into that same Guitar Center. There in the bass room there's this filthy old little stack. A Sound City X188 and matching 215 cab. The head looked like it'd just been unearthed in some archaelogical dig. Never seen an amp so dirty; couldn't tell what it had for tubes under all the grime. Plugged it in, and when it wasn't shrieking, howling, crackling, popping, or just making loud static noises it sounded pretty good. Experimenting, I found most of the noise was tied to the pots, and fidgeting with them got it to settle down. Ah, I thinks to meself, it's Dirty Pot Syndrome. I check the price... it's tagged with their "vintage gear" tag which usually means pain... $149! Figuring at that price I could get the little monster fixed if I had to and still be doing OK I bought it. I couldn't help buying the cab too, I've never really had a matching stack before. One day later, and a can and a half of pot cleaner spray, it's rockin'. I'll go easy on it till I can get it serviced, but no real problems. I think I like this GC. I've bought an expensive amp there once and had to return it when it went all flaky on me, but had good luck with cheap amps.

4 GEC KT88s, and Mullard preamp tubes. simple 3 band EQ, volume, "harmonic volume" and a boost switch. I'll get some pics when I can. The 400+ actually paid for both heads, and the new cab! I dig funky old gear most people have never heard of too. I gather this head is a "newer" model, not really a collector's find but not very common.

17. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Never heard of that model, but sounds kickass nonetheless.

18. Sweet! I paid over $500 for a D-180 & called it decent. On a semi-related note, my 60+year-old carved German 3/4 DB, w/a Schaller Oyster pickup, gig bag & bow set me back...

$150, in roughly 1987-88 dollars. Go ahead, hate upon me.

19. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Never heard of it myself. They don't know much about it on the Sound Ciy forums I've found either. Which appeals to my contrary nature.

That's awesome!