1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

another "identify this bass" thread

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by SodaCity bass, Aug 9, 2012.

1. SodaCity bass

SodaCity bass Bartolini Artist, MTD Artist, LaBella Artist

Aug 4, 2011
    Blythewood, SC
    I'm about to purchase this bass that looks quite old. It is a ply bass I'm told and has peghat tuners.

Attached Files:

2. SodaCity bass

Aug 4, 2011
    Blythewood, SC
    Two more

Attached Files:

3. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    It appears to be an upright bass :smug:

4. SodaCity bass

Aug 4, 2011
    Blythewood, SC
    Hmmm....I was thinking that, but not quite sold on the idea lol

5. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Sorry I couldn't be of any help. Looks nice though!

6. SodaCity bass

Aug 4, 2011
    Blythewood, SC
    No problem. Anyone else?

7. Just an observation: the feet of the bridge are turned 90-degrees from where they should be.

Clockwise or counterclockwise? I can't tell ya.

Nor can I tell you the origin.

8. The tuning machines look like the Czech machines Kay occasionally used until Hitler invaded Czechloslovakia and all hell broke loose. The bass looks much newer. Is there a label inside?

9. SodaCity bass

Aug 4, 2011
    Blythewood, SC
    I know. The guy I'm buying it from put them that way for some reason

10. SodaCity bass

Aug 4, 2011
    Blythewood, SC
    No label

11. SodaCity bass

Aug 4, 2011
    Blythewood, SC
    And is also a flat back unlike most Kay's I've seen

12. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    Bridge feet, dampits.. I guess he's an extremely clueless guy. I'd stray far away unless you brought it to a luthier before purchase.

Nice tuners, though.

He's also playing on top of some jeans in one picture.. Very weird, unless that's how he likes to 'mute' his bass.

13. SodaCity bass

Aug 4, 2011
    Blythewood, SC
    Not clueless at all. The feet got turned during an adjustment and hasn't turned them around yet. As for dampits.....in the south you need them.

14. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    I don't think any person trying to sell a bass proper would take a picture with the feet sideways. I don't really know of any adjustment that would need the feet turned; makes no sense to me.

Search dampits on this forum, you'll find a wealth of information on why not to use them, and why they're a waste of money.

15. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    By the way.. Have you checked the FAQs on buying a bass? It's in a sticky on the basses forum. Read through that before you buy this, and bring it to a RESPECTED DOUBLE BASS LUTHIER before you buy it. Don't make that newbie mistake - you can find many threads where people didn't do that, and it turned out very bad for them.

16. SodaCity bass

Aug 4, 2011
    Blythewood, SC
    I've been buying uprights for 23 years....I'm sure I can figure out what to look for. I'm not worried about why the feet turned sideways while he adjusted the bridge or any dampits are a waste of a few dollars. I'm only concerned with one thing.....possible identification of this ply flatback. I've found a pöllman and a wilfer being sold by complete idiots so that's no reason to stray.

If we could stay on topic, it would be much appreciated. Thank you

17. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Lay down the law.

18. Al Lever

Al Lever

Aug 2, 2012
    Germany
    I think we need you more than you need us.
    Off topic sorry....

19. Coming to the DB forums with an attitude is not a good way to solicit help.

Since you are a 23 year veteran, you will probably have already noticed the sinking top on the soundpost side. ID? A nameless old german or czech plywood by my eye.

20. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    No, it's not a nameless German ply, it's probably a Hoefner ply. The scroll, the hatpeg tuners and the relative position of the f holes in the Gamba shape indicate this manufacturer. If i could have a close picture of the scroll and the tuners i could give a better opinion. Our local Conservatory has a couple of them and i spent many hours trying to bring them in shape.
    Mike