Another Lull purchase

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Dec 22, 2005.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I bought a preowned Lull M4V on a whim.

* Very high quality jazz bass

* Light weight -- ~8 lbs., a welcome feature

* The neck is a little chunkier than I thought it would be. Not uncomfortable, but it's a nice handful of neck to behold.

* Minor niggle: You can see indentions on the top of the neck - ostensibly this was marring when the frets were installed. Plus you can see traces of glue around the frets. No big deal, but I haven't seen this kind of thing on other boutique instruments. It does kind of give it the "hand made" feel though ;-)

* The neck wood is hard wood, which I really like. It feels really stable, but also pleasant to hold. One thing I noticed about Lakland (55-94), was that the neck wood felt "soft" - that was also a stable neck, but I like the feeling of the hard better.

* The action is outstanding. Maybe this is part set up, but I think it's part bass and workmanship. It's better action than the Sadowsky NYC I had for a while ( :bag: ).

* I'm still getting used to the tone. I've got the Lindy Fralin vintage single coils. I'm more used to modern tone, so these are taking some getting used to. Very raw and ganky sounding - I can see why some folks that are looking for the "modern" element from the M4V might be left wanting something from the tone. I'm going to see if I don't take to these pups, but I might try the CB Bartolini pups down the way if I don't. For now, the Sadowsky tone gets the nod.

Very cool bass overall...recommended.

Attached Files:

2. BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Cool Lull "Wally" ...

Man, seems like everybodys buyin Lulls here lately :D

I just picked up a MV4 about a week ago. It has Fralins also, but I'm going to change them to DiMarzio Model J's. I have another Lull J that had Fralins, I put the Model J's in it and BINGO ... perfect balance of tone to my ears, also I dig the adjustable pole pieces so you can fine tune each string volume. I tried a set of DiMarzio Ultra-Jass's first but didn't care much for those and jerked'um back out, all highs n lows without much mid-punch and meat.

Oh BTW .. the Model J's are DEAD QUIET no matter how you blend the pups ;)

Enjoy your new bass :)
  3. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats on the new bass!!! :hyper: :bassist:
  4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
  5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Congrats. I just got a new Lull too! :cool:
  6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  7. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Thanks, chaps.

I have a gig Friday night so I'll get to try it out. So far, I'm pretty much digging it! :)