1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another recommend me a string post!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dredmahawkus, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    Ok I want a round core light (.100) gauge nickel string with slightly more tension then circlek and a bit less chorusy because its going on a maple board jazz bass...warm and smooth sounding and feeling with deep lows. Fodera? sunbeam? suggestions? right now I have D'addario XL nickel on it and they sound and feel great...but I want something else similar but better.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Sunbeams are great but nickel loriders are gonna have more perceived tension from the hex core. Both great strings.

3. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    yeah hex core are too heavy for me....I still need round core low tension just not all floppy tension.

I actually have a set of nickel .105 low riders in the pack here.

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I've never tried them but I bet 40-95 loriders would feel pretty good. I've tried the same gauge sunbeams and they were too loosey goosey but I think the hex core would make the light gauge more manageable.

5. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    I do wish I got a lighter gauge then these....I just got a bass with lighter gauge strings and I love the feel! the .105 feel like cables now!
    I have a set of .095 pressurewounds.....might be too dull for the maple board bass.

6. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I've recently converted to light gauge. I used to be all about heavy 50-110s or 115s (for EADG). I bought a really old set of TI jazz rounds from the classifieds and now they're the only strings I want to play. Low tension but they feel and sound fantastic.

8. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    Maybe I will try those...I love infelds superalloys sound they are great but kinda heavy and high tension. TI makes great sounding strings!
    Yeah I was all about the heavys...I had it in my head they sounded better....then I traded for a 75 AVRI and it had light/reg .100 strings on it. and I can literally play better then all my other basses! I have been re playing for a year now and just cant get tom sawyers bass solo perfectly....first time I tried with this bass I nailed it....and I never miss a note when playing with this. it has to be the strings!

9. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    I havent tried those because I figured they were like the superalloy and stiff.

10. aprod

aprod

Mar 11, 2008
    I try different strings from time t time and always come back to the D'Addario Xls. I do not like DRs at all, any of them.

11. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    believe it or not this was the first time I tried XLs....and they feel kinda great on here! they are cheap...maybe I should just keep using them. I figured since they are like $10 a pack they would be totally dead soon.

12. Levin

Levin

Oct 30, 2012
    Sweden
    The light Fodera Nickels! Seems to be what you're looking for, they are plenty warm.
    Recommend them strongly!

13. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    Do they last? I usually buy pretty good strings that last a while....well first time trying D'addarios XL nickels...I loved the sound! and the E string sounds almost dead in like 2 weeks! I have been playing it a ton...but I have never seen a set of strings go dead this quick! I have some superalloys on 2 basses that sound just as good as they did months ago! circleKs a few months ago still sound good. I think I am done with d'addario rounds!
    Is it because they are .100 thin the E went dead so quick? I love the feel but its just not as rich and full as it was. Is that a trait of all lighter strings? or just the cheaper D'addarios?

14. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky (orange pack). For me, they are just right when new and don't wear out too quickly. They don't start off as bright as other brands.

15. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Those are hex core, not round.

Fodera strings would fit the bill perfectly.

16. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    ok thats what I am trying next! fodera nickels.

17. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I get mine from www.bassstringsonline.com since he has the best price and service :)

18. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    I usually get everything from jason too

19. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    I am throwing the Fodera nickels on right now! they seem kinda rough...although I only have one string on! lol premature review!