Another Stinkin' 112 Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NJL, Nov 9, 2004.

1. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    OK. My Avatar 410 is toooooo heavy and my back is not getting any better.
    I enjoyed the cab, but it's time to move on to little-er and better things :D

I have been doing a lot of research and decided to do two small
    12" cabs.

This is what I use:

Messenger EUB (41.5" scale) and/or Fender Jazz (barts/aggie 3 band),
    Ampeg SVP, QSC Bridged Mono - no effects (George L's cables if you must!)

Right now, I'm about to start a house band gig in a medium sized club (with in house PA and a great sound man). With this band, I'm going to be playing EUB doing rock covers and a little R & B - Led, Janice Joplin, Billy Idol, Sublime, Urethra Franklin, yada, yada, yada. I also do straight ahead jazz, fusion, reggae and funk. I rarely use my five or six string basses now a days.

I have been looking at the Aguilar GS 112 and the Eden D112XLT. My question is:

What are the pro's and con's of using -

Two Aggies v One Aggie and Eden?

I have been recommend to by someone that I respect very much to do the Aggie/Eden thang', but you guys know me, I gotta' question everything (including myself!) :D

Any and all help would be much appreciated! thanks sooooo much!

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound

Ever consider these?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Well I tried out the Edens, and I own a pair of the GS112s. The Eden would compliment the sound of an Aggie in that the Aggie has a darker scooped sound, while the Eden sounds more agressive. You really have to crank it on the Aggie to open up the mids, but it takes to EQ well. The reason why I went with the Aggie is that EQed well and it has really tight lows. With two of them, the sound is thunderous. But it's a matter of taste. A pair of GS112s have a scooped sound, and at low volumes it tends to miss out on some mids.

The con I guess would be the sensitivity of each speaker. The Aggie has a sensitivity of 102, so it's a pretty efficient speaker. The Eden is rated at 100, so with the same amount of power the Aggie will be a little louder. But you'd have to play them to see how that washes out. I've never combined the cabs, and the Eden I only played for a short time. But I find that both cabs have somewhat hissy tweeters.
  3. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    jive, thanks for the advice.....i already have some bengay

do you consider yourself a "loud" player?
  4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I'm not a loud player at all. As far as volume 2 112s will do a great job of filling up a medium room. I use a single 112 all the time for a small room, or use it as a monitor for a larger venue when I go through the PA.

Another thing to consider if you want something lighter and smaller is an EA CXL110. I use it regularly as a stand alone cab in small venues. It sounds real good with an EUB (but not from my fingers of course).
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The only reason to use mismatched cabs is because you think each cab BY ITSELF is lacking something that the other has so that the combo will be more than the sum of the parts.

Personally I've never been crazy about this approach because when you do a gig that requires only ONE cab you now have to pick between two cabs that each have some weakness. Better to find a cab that sounds "right" by itself and then get a second one for gigs where you need more push.
  6. Just to point out that you could one channel of the QSC into each one and balance the levels that way. Pros/cons?
  7. coldtrain

Aug 19, 2004
    Middleburg, VA
    FWIW, I would say stick with the 2 Aggies. I keep my amp EQ pretty flat, and the tweeter no more than 1/4 of the way up, and at reasonable gig volumes I haven't had any issues with lack of mids. I am however playing an EB StingRay4 with bass and mids full up usually, and a dash of treble. I think the aggies would sound smoother than the Eden, although I have no gigging experience with the Eden 112, only the 2x10XLT.
  8. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i really appreciate it guys! thanks and keep em' coming...

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU

Waiting for someone to come and say SCHROEDER 1210 (or something else)!
    mine has not yet arrived... ok... it also wont arrive fast... :meh: but i'm looking forward to it after all that I read here! :smug: :D :cool:
  10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Why do people say this?

Hiss comes from the electronics in your AMP or your BASS not from the tweeter! It's just that if there's hiss a tweeter will expose it because it can reproduce those higher frequencies.

Now I do think some tweeters are smoother sounding than others but that has nothing to do with hiss.
  11. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

Carlos ,
    check your PM ... :cool:
  12. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I haven't had the chance to try the Eden 112 with anything else. I wasn't impressed with it. By the same token I wasn't impressed with a single GS112 when I tried it on a wedding gig (medium volume). It just got lost. Adding a second GS112 made a big difference. The same could be true of two Edens.

While two 1-12s sound very good, IME adding a small 1-15 instead can make a world of difference. In my current rig they compliment each perfectly. I wouldn't take my 15 or 12 out alone, mainly because they sound so good together and are easy to transport.
  14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm tempted myself to get a Berg 115 to use with my HT112. Anyone tried this?

I have the HT/EX combo. I have to say that for all of my Jazz gigs I just use the HT alone with my six string and it kills every time. I just played a gig the other night with myself, two upright players, two drummers, electric guitar and a trombone. The single cab was sooooooo impressive. Actually, one of the upright players is someone that I've always looked up to. He's a heavyweight for sure. He made a comment on how great my sound was right away. I was using a Glockenklang Soul amp which is only like 230 watts into 8ohms.

Now, for louder gigs I add the EX and it is uber loud. Any louder and you'll blow your head off.

I've tried the Aguilar. It just lacks in so many ways. It is scooped in the mids for sure. It also farts out if you push it at all. I have heard that it's better with two but I still wouldn't dig it personally. The Eden I've never tried.

I think that everyone owes it to themselves to at least try the Bergs.
  15. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Emjazz, I'm going to buy an HT115 and an HT210 at the first part of next year. I'm going to power them with my Crest CA9, and of course my preamp is a Read Purity :) .

Not to derail the thread, but I considered buying an Eden D-210XLT & D-210XST (amongst others!) before I started talking with Jim Bergantino about the type of sound I'm after.

I still think the D-210XLT/D-210XST would be a killer mini-stack. I really like the sound of the D-410XLT and the other Eden cabs I've tried.

16. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Never cared for GS-12's of any type myself. Tried the Edee but only very briefly and at low volumes so I can't really comment.

I've got a used HT-115 on the way. If it doesn't cut it on it's own, I'm either going to add an EX-112 or just go the Schroeder 1212 route... :ninja:
  17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

18. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hope you got a vocalist who can nail the piss outta them parts. :D

If you get the Aggies, I *will* be hitting you up to borrow them when I play in College Station, you know... ;)

Alright... couldn't resist... sorry... carry on. :bag:
  19. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Here's a vote for WBS cabs from My 2X12 Neo's are light enough to pick up with one hand. My back is shreaded wheat too, but these cabs help.
  20. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Hey NJL--I also have a Messenger EUB--it's a great instrument. I've been running it through GK400RB and Eden WT-400 heads into either a Berg HT112 or EA Wizzy 112, both of which I much prefer to the scooped Aggie. Never played the Eden 112. I'm not crazy about the sound of most Eden cabs on their own, but they sure do cut through a mix.

With upright and EUB I like to have a lot of mids so I can hear my intonation. The EA has very full mids from bottom to top and can get stupendously loud with 200 watts. Due to the fact that it has a concentric whizzer cone and no crossover you get a really true wide-range tone with no phase weirdness, and you can hear the mids and highs clearly wherever you stand--even off axis.

The Berg has a sweet midrange and quick, punchy lows. People say Bergs need a ton of power but mine's worked great with the Eden's 230 watts @ 8 ohms for my last couple of no-PA gigs (5 string funky jazz and EUB Django-gypsy jazz).