1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another straplok thread

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by leehinson, Jul 18, 2012.

1. leehinson

leehinson

Jul 18, 2010
    Currently have a set of the dual design Dunlop straploks on my Warwick Thumb. They've been on there for about 6 months. The last couple of times I've played the lock on the horn has started coming loose on its on. I know I've got it connected correctly and that they are installed correctly. I have seen people mention on here that they maintenance their straploks. I thought about oiling them because maybe the ball bearings are getting hung up and not coming out all they way to catch in the groove in the strap button. Is this is a good idea, if so what do I use and will it fix my problem? Thanks in advance for all your input

2. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    leehinson,

Yes, it would be a good idea to give them a light lubricant if they aren't locking properly. Also, I try to swap the lower button with the top button every once in a while, as the top button bears the load more. Hope this helps...please let me know if you have any questions or if I can assist in any way. Thanks!

3. leehinson

leehinson

Jul 18, 2010
    Thanks. I'll give it a shot and see how it does

4. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    Dunlop has a few maintenance tips on there website!

5. leehinson

leehinson

Jul 18, 2010
    I couldn't find anything on their website to maintenance. You reckon a little WD40 would do the trick

6. That's funny, I've been using then since the 1979 on all my basses. Never had any problems. Never did any maintenance on them either.

7. leehinson

leehinson

Jul 18, 2010
    Ive used them before and never had any problems. This one is new to me. Should I use WD 40 or something like 3 in 1 oil?

8. I use Dunlops on all my basses, always have. First thing that goes on them when they become mine, usually even before a string change.

The closest I've ever seen to what you describe is a few times that I didn't quite click one in the whole way and didn't notice. Never had one fail though, and I've been playing since 1981.

9. leehinson

leehinson

Jul 18, 2010
    I know there clicked in good. I give em a few tugs just to make sure. Even with straploks of any kind I'm always paranoid about my bass hitting the floor

10. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    NO!!! WD 40 will cause problems!

Almost all of my straplocks are Dunlops and I've found that light oil works, but isn't best. It's too thin and tends to dry out too fast. What I use on mine is white lithium grease. You can get it in a small spray can. It's thick enough to stay in there and also thin enough to not bind the locking balls. You just spray them and wipe off the excess.

Black lithium grease (usually for cars) works as well but it tends to get black all over everything.

The key to Dunlops is the white grease and making sure they are fully locked. They tend to bind going in the holes if you don't lubricate them and then they don't lock completely and then the bass comes loose. White grease and double check the lock does the job.

11. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
  12. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    Dunlop recommend wd40 so I guess if anything goes wrong it's there fault just get them to send a free set over?

13. leehinson

leehinson

Jul 18, 2010
    I appreciate all of your responses. Ill give your recommendations a try this afternoon and see how it goes. Thanks guys

14. dystopiate

dystopiate

Feb 21, 2008
    New York City
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar
    I had a Thumb NT for a while. The short upper horn makes stripping of the straplock a near certainty if you're aggressive on stage. I had the original Warwick lock strip on-stage (the body side, not the strap side), then had Dunlops do the same. Schallers were the solution.

15. leehinson

leehinson

Jul 18, 2010
    I'm not very aggressive on stage. I've never had any problems with the screws stripping. My corvette has the warwick locks on it and they haven't given me any trouble.

16. Perhaps a light ceramic grease or (better IMO) oil? (It's available at bike shops.)

Oil you may have to apply more frequently than grease, but grease will get gunked up faster and in the long run potentially be more problematic by clogging the mechanism once dust, dirt and other debris contaminate the grease.

WD-40 was invented to displace water. It has mild lubricating properties, but I find it works almost like a solvent for loosening seized screw threads etc. I wouldn't use WD-40 as a lubricant.

YMMV

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Truthfully, this thread makes me glad I use Schallers - sure, I have to put a spot of blue locktite on the threads before tightening the nut down on the strap, but atleast I don't have oil or grease in my case with my instrument... I have never had a Schaller fail, nor needed to lubricate one in any way - just a one time application of locktite, and they've never given me any trouble...

To each their own, though...

- georgestrings

18. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    +1.

I like to use a washer and just permanently secure the strap to the instrument more, though. But I still have 2 basses with schallers on them because I like to be able to switch up straps on them.

With schallers you just have to make sure not to put the strap side piece upside down!!!!! Otherwise it WILL FAIL!!

19. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I see people advocate a washer or some such variant, and think to myself that they must not use form fitting hardshell cases, like Fender or EBMM - because permanently attaching the strap is not an option with those cases... I really don't care about being able to "switch up" straps, since I pretty much always buy a strap and straplocks for each bass - but like to use good quality form fitting cases, which make being able to remove the strap a necessity to case the instrument...

- georgestrings

20. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have been using Dunlop Strap Locs since my first bass way back in 1981. I have never once used any oil, lube, or grease or even maintained them. They have never failed me. They are consistantly perfect. Never a problem. Now, I have had the reciever end come loose. Nothing a piece of tooth pick, some glue and a reattachment doesn't cure in a moment, but that is not what the OP was talking about as far as I can tell