1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another Tailgut Question

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by krfoss, Oct 7, 2017.

1. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I have a rigid metal wire tailgut on my upright, and have been board and antsy to tinker. What impact will braided nylon (similar to that sold on Gollihur) have on my sound. Does anyone have any experience or advice on this?

2. dkziemann

dkziemann

Dec 13, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    Endorsed by D'Addario
    I used a braided steel tailgut, then nylon, adjustable steel, and now have a braided nylon (?) tailgut that was crafted by Jed Kriegel. There were many other adjustments that he did to my bass as well (new tailpiece being a big one, raised saddle, etc.) so I can't comment on how that one component specifically changed the sound. That said, my bass is mellower overall. This tailgut feels very sturdy compared to some of the others I've used! Others should chime in, but I like what I've got so far.

3. IME the steel monofilament costs you pizz volume, can make the bass feel stiff and mutes the high end frequencies.

A Kevlar tailgut will allow the tailpiece vibrate freely and should loosen up the feel, but some feel they mute the highs.

I haven't gone crazy experimenting, but a braided steel tailgut is far and away my favorite.

robobass likes this.
  4. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks for the reply. How noticable would it be after a change of tailgut? You say the monifilament can stiffen up the bass a bit, but a change prob won't make it a wide open bass, right?

I'll switch out the wire soon to see how it changes the sound.

5. Having anything but monofilament on there SHOULD open up the sound. It might take a while to settle in.

krfoss likes this.
  6. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks. My bass has a mono tailgut and I realize an ebonized tailpiece. I have a solid ebony one, but I figure I'll change one at a time to see what's changing.
    Thanks!

7. IIRC you're mostly a pizz player so leave the boxwood on. Less mass to fight.

james condino and krfoss like this.
  8. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Done and done.

KUNGfuSHERIFF likes this.
  9. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Is there a reason then that most players argue FOR a real ebony tailpiece? Furthermore, why wouldnt people go for carbon fiber, plastic, or even that all wire tailpiece? Thoughts?

10. A heavy tailpiece damps partials for arco play.

11. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    I think it's not only weight, but stiffness. Ebony and boxwood are similarly dense, but ebony is harder. Also TP length and tailgut length can make a big difference, and there are "tuned" and "tunable" tailpieces, wire tailpieces, etc. Some European builders in fact use ebonized birch, saying lighter is better. So, there are really as many opinions out there as a certain body part. You just have to experiment and see what works for you.

12. Mgaisbacher

Mgaisbacher Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    My bass was also set up by Jed and he uses a material called vectran. I looks similar to braided nylon or kevlar but from my research, and Jed's explanation it seems that vectran has almost no stretch when tension is applied, or after tension has been applied for a period of time. I can't really speak to the difference in sound compared to steel or anything because I only had my bass for a few months before Jed did a complete set up of my bass. It seems anything is better than rigid metal though.

13. dkziemann

dkziemann

Dec 13, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    Endorsed by D'Addario
    Thanks for the info! Sounds right to me :)

Mgaisbacher likes this.
  14. I have noticed that Efrano sell natural gut tailgut. I am not really sure it is beneficial, but it could certainly be called "going all in". As a plain gut player, I am tempted to try it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017 at 11:23 AM