Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another 'Which pickup to use?' thread

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Pantsman, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Hi all, I recent found a nice old'ish Magnum Stingray copy in a 2nd handstore. It has a great body and neck however everything else needs work, so i thought it would be a great 1st project bass for $180.

The only thing is i have never seen a pickup like the one in this thing, imagine 2 J pickups right next to each other. Is there a replacement available or will i have to rewind this one? or make my own?

Edit: Also i was thinking about a Basslines P-pickup for my RBX260? (early model with single EMG style P-pickup)

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Short of re-routing you're stuck with what the bass allows. The 2J pickup is called exactly that, a double J. There are few options, most of which I think have been discontinued but seems Rio Grande (powerbucker think it's called) still makes one and there's a low end brand for sale on ebay regularly. There's probably a few other out there I'm can't remember or not aware. Delano might make one.

Schaller made one that was used in Kramer basses of which a dozen or so were sold on ebay about 6 months ago and I bought one. Unusual pup in that it's looks like a pair of model J's side by side (a pair of split hb's with 8 leads) so it offers the ultimate flexibility in wiring options. Has a kind of vintage Fender tone to it as well. There have been a number of posts on the Schaller, one in particular had some pretty extensive exploration on wiring/switching schemes with diagrams

Alternatively you might be able to shave the tower's off one side of a pair of J's and make it work and appear passable but you're either trashing the pup or cover in the process if it doesn't.

P pups are pretty much P pups in terms of dimensions, there's a little variation in their dimensions perimeter wise but I've never had one not drop into a routing.