Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another who played bass on.......??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DWBass, May 20, 2004.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I just came across a version of the classic R&B tune, People Make The World Go Round version by Angela Bofill! This is a fast funk version with the bass part slapped and on the bridge sections, played Latin 'Tumbao' style. Anyone know who the bassist was that played on it. I'm gonna take a wild guess and say it was Louis Johnson.

2. DWBass, I found this info on www.allmusic.com-Angela Bofill

The album is titled :

Angel of the Night
    Oct 1979 (release)

Francisco Centen - Bass (Electric)

I know that not all internet sites give correct info but, I wonder if allmusic.com is right?

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Thanks. I'll try and do some research on him. By the way, have you heard that version? Anyone heard it?

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Hmmmm...........apparently, he's a well known NY studio bassist. Has done a lot of work with Ashford & Simpson. Has filled in for Will Lee on the David Letterman Show. His webpage is not working so I cannot find much more info on him. He definitely had that Louis Johnson slap vibe and sound on this tune. I've never heard Louis play Latin style so that's why I wasn't sure it was him or not.

*Edit

"Bass player Francisco Centeno started his Motown career (at the age of 15) recording and performing with Diana Ross, Smokey Robinson and Aretha Franklin. He has spent 30 years as a studio musician in New York, and is currently in the orchestra of Hairspray on Broadway."

Boy, talk about staying out of the limelight! This guy's got an impressive resume!

You know, upon further research, I'm not gonna bother listing the ton of 'big name' folks this cat has worked with! I can't believe I never came across this guys name before but have surely heard his work!

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That is a great version.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    They use play Angela Bofill a lot on radio station WRVR when I lived in N.Y. way back when....brings back old memories :cool: I saw her play a few times, but Francisco Centeno wasn't playing with her...great band anyway. I always thought she was going to be the next big thing, but it never happend. Great song, great vocals, great bassplaying...thanks for bringing a blast from the past!

7. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    The last time I saw Angela Bofill (which was years ago") she was using Jimmy Earl.
    If you guys really dig Francisco then try to find all the stuff he did with Ashford & Simpson.This proably some of his best work ;not taking any thing away from all the other projects he has been on.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

It's funny that I didn't know about him years ago as I was not an Ashford & Simpson fan at all. In fact couldn't stand that stuff nor the slow ballad stuff!