Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anti-perspirant for fingers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by markfsy, May 26, 2005.

1. markfsy

markfsy

May 14, 2005
    Suffolk, England
    A keyboard-player friend of mine tells me there is a product (spray-on) which stops fingers, and other parts I suppose, from sweating. When I'm cool, my fingers are like rock, but as soon as I get hot and sweaty, my fingers go soft, and the tone I get from my fretless gets more and more wooly, so I would be be very grateful if anyone knows what this product is called. And no, it's not the ordinary armpit stuff. I suppose I could move to Finland if all else fails.....

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Bah, I was about to suggest deoderant...stupid right guard gel stuff doesnt let my armpits get wet...:p

No idea, sorry man

3. CaNaDaRoCkSoY

CaNaDaRoCkSoY

May 9, 2005
    Georgia
    I use what most bowlers use to keep their fingers firm and dry. I have no idea what its called but its like a white chalk in a thing cloth bag.

4. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Cocaine?
    :D

5. CaNaDaRoCkSoY

CaNaDaRoCkSoY

May 9, 2005
    Georgia
    that too, I mean errrr..... (*snort), no....What ever gave you that idea.

No really I have no idea what it is, I think it is chalk, or at least anthrax, plague, you know same old same old.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I think the term you're looking for is "rosin." Not to be confused with bass rosin ;).

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I don't know about that rosin stuff. It is too grippy. I think talc in small amounts would be good.

8. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    I dip my fingertips in that chalk that people rub the tip of their pool cues with....

[​IMG]

:D

9. CaNaDaRoCkSoY

CaNaDaRoCkSoY

May 9, 2005
    Georgia
    Does that work?

10. I use that Purell hand sanitizer stuff. The oils on my skin will dull out a new set of strings in a few hours, so I use that to get them really clean and a little between each set. You can find travel bottles of this stuff in Walmart for next to nothin'.

SB

11. markfsy

markfsy

May 14, 2005
    Suffolk, England
    Thanks for the advice guys, I'll give these tips a try, especially that "cocaine" stuff, whatever that is. Seriously though, he tells me it was a spray that left no residue, and kept his hands dry all night, and that's just what I need because it's like trying to play with sticks of rhubarb when my hands get sweaty. I read somewhere there's a South African bassist who wears thin silk gloves because of the same problem, but my intonation is rough enough already without those to contend with!

12. Yes, the bowling aid: a "rosin bag" is a good bet. Keeps your hands nice and dry, with little transferrence to your fingers...shouldn't gum up your strings....

Ron

13. I used to practise constantly for hours (and days) when I bought my first bass, and managed to wear away the skin on my fingertips before they had time to callous properly. Being young and reckless, I used superglue as a kind of protective layer. It worked, too; just don't touch anything until it dries. It would probably stop sweat until it wore off.