1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any 2X12" cabinet users out there ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Turlu, Mar 12, 2006.

1. I am in the mood to buy a 2X12 Cabinet, and probably equipped with a Neo speaker.

Anyone out there have experience with one of these ?

I will try the Genz-Benz Neox soon. Let me know your experiences and thought about 2X12 cabs for small to medium gigs. Thanks !

2. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA

Im a 2x12 man myself. The 1212 is nice and I totally dig my Whappo Jr. too.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I loooooooooooooooooove my 1212. And its not even the neo.

4. VifferMike

VifferMike Registered Four Banger

Dec 10, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Two of my last three cabs have been 2x12s: I had a '99 SWR Silverado Special combo with 2 12' drivers (loved that thing, but it weighed 103 pounds ... at least it had casters. SenSATional blues and classic rock combo, that was) and I currently have a Schroeder 1212 that moves an insane amount of air. I had a Genz-Benz 4x10 in between those and loved it, too: very efficient and warm, but a little much for my current needs.

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I love 2x12 cabs. Get one. Anyone who uses 2x12 will sound better.

6. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    I play through a 1212. Every time I get together with the band our drummer says, "I love that rig." All I can do is agree!

Chad

7. Flipper

Flipper sale: Sadowsky NYC PJ5 Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    I got a GB NEOX 2x12 with a GBE 600 head about 6 mo. ago. Its as bright and punchy as most 4x10s and only 62lbs. Reasonably priced, easy to move, great customer service. Honestly I wasn't expecting it to sound as good as it did. Boutiquey tone without the price tag.

8. snappytom

snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    ChicagoLand
    I am very interested in a 2x12 cabinet also, especially the GB NEOX.

I currently use an Ampeg SVT15 and SVT210, from what I have been reading a GB NEOX 2x12 would weigh about as much as the SVT210 and do the job of both cabinets. When we rehearse I usually just bring the 210 and when gigging bring both, but the sound is quite different (as expected) when both cabinets are stacked. I figure that with the NEOX I would always rehearse with what I gig and not be futzing around for the first few songs trying to dial in the tone I want.

9. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    If you like that Ampeg tone, try a pair of the new SVT 112HE cabs. I will be posting a full review within the next few weeks, but I am thrilled with mine so far.

For the original poster, I have a Steelsound 212 cab with DeltaLites in it & its kind of lame. But thats due more to the cab design than the speaker... its kind of a small box for a 212 and tends to crap out when it is pushed.

I also agree the Schroeder 1212 sounds really good, although I actually preferred the schro 410 over the 1212... but thats just me and I dont have extensive experience with those cabs.

10. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I got an SWR Workingmans 2x12 about a year ago,and replaced the Celestion drivers with a pair of Eminence Kappa Pro's,and it kills anything else I have.And it only weighs about 60 lbs.I'm in the process of locating another to make a 4x12 stack.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Lots of great 2x12's out there. Bergantino HT212 and IP212, Epifani T-212 and UL-212, Accugroove Whappo, Jr., Eden 212XLT, etc. I have some custom 2x12 "Super Wizzy's" which just kick. Dr. Bass and Low Down Sound also make a killer 2x12 product.

I am really Jonesing to try a Glockenklang 2x12, myself.

Tom.

12. Crunka

Crunka

Mar 11, 2006
    Stockton, Ca
    I like 2X12!

13. I use a 2x12 by a small custom builder from germany.

I don't know how it compares to other 2x12s but i love it. On our last gig the basisst of the other band played through my rig and it sounded very good!

14. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Redlands, CA
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    +1 :)

Sadly, I have yet to gig with it.

15. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    I play through EBS Neo 212 cabinet(s). Sounds great! Weight: 53lbs :)

16. 2 x 12's seem to be all the rage this year.

17. Thanks guys for your input and comments.

I am realy leaning towards the Genz-Benz Neox 2X12 and will probably buy two cabinets. I only heard good things about Genz Benz products.

I wil let you know what I think of the rig later this week after I have the chance to try it.

18. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Schroeder 1212 non-neo. Tight, deep, fast, loud and I'm constantly amazed at the portability.

I've done 15's and 10's, but I've found my perfect configuration.

19. Spearsy

Spearsy Working' at it ... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Western Pennsylvania
    A lot of people have dissed them. But, I got an Ampeg PB212, replaced the speakers with Emminence Delta 12 LF's, and couldn't be happier. The thing sounds great, rolls on a luggage cart, is small, really easy to move, covers a lot of styles and room sizes, and still comes in under 50#.

Peace,
    Spearsy