Any 2X12" cabinet users out there ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Turlu, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I am in the mood to buy a 2X12 Cabinet, and probably equipped with a Neo speaker.

Anyone out there have experience with one of these ?

I will try the Genz-Benz Neox soon. Let me know your experiences and thought about 2X12 cabs for small to medium gigs. Thanks !
  2. FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA

Im a 2x12 man myself. The 1212 is nice and I totally dig my Whappo Jr. too.
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I loooooooooooooooooove my 1212. And its not even the neo.
  4. VifferMike

VifferMike Registered Four Banger

Dec 10, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Two of my last three cabs have been 2x12s: I had a '99 SWR Silverado Special combo with 2 12' drivers (loved that thing, but it weighed 103 pounds ... at least it had casters. SenSATional blues and classic rock combo, that was) and I currently have a Schroeder 1212 that moves an insane amount of air. I had a Genz-Benz 4x10 in between those and loved it, too: very efficient and warm, but a little much for my current needs.
  5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I love 2x12 cabs. Get one. Anyone who uses 2x12 will sound better.
  6. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    I play through a 1212. Every time I get together with the band our drummer says, "I love that rig." All I can do is agree!

7. I got a GB NEOX 2x12 with a GBE 600 head about 6 mo. ago. Its as bright and punchy as most 4x10s and only 62lbs. Reasonably priced, easy to move, great customer service. Honestly I wasn't expecting it to sound as good as it did. Boutiquey tone without the price tag.
  8. snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    I am very interested in a 2x12 cabinet also, especially the GB NEOX.

I currently use an Ampeg SVT15 and SVT210, from what I have been reading a GB NEOX 2x12 would weigh about as much as the SVT210 and do the job of both cabinets. When we rehearse I usually just bring the 210 and when gigging bring both, but the sound is quite different (as expected) when both cabinets are stacked. I figure that with the NEOX I would always rehearse with what I gig and not be futzing around for the first few songs trying to dial in the tone I want.
  9. 8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    If you like that Ampeg tone, try a pair of the new SVT 112HE cabs. I will be posting a full review within the next few weeks, but I am thrilled with mine so far.

For the original poster, I have a Steelsound 212 cab with DeltaLites in it & its kind of lame. But thats due more to the cab design than the speaker... its kind of a small box for a 212 and tends to crap out when it is pushed.

I also agree the Schroeder 1212 sounds really good, although I actually preferred the schro 410 over the 1212... but thats just me and I dont have extensive experience with those cabs.
  10. 73jbass

Apr 17, 2004
    I got an SWR Workingmans 2x12 about a year ago,and replaced the Celestion drivers with a pair of Eminence Kappa Pro's,and it kills anything else I have.And it only weighs about 60 lbs.I'm in the process of locating another to make a 4x12 stack.
  11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Lots of great 2x12's out there. Bergantino HT212 and IP212, Epifani T-212 and UL-212, Accugroove Whappo, Jr., Eden 212XLT, etc. I have some custom 2x12 "Super Wizzy's" which just kick. Dr. Bass and Low Down Sound also make a killer 2x12 product.

I am really Jonesing to try a Glockenklang 2x12, myself.

12. Crunka

Mar 11, 2006
    Stockton, Ca
  13. I use a 2x12 by a small custom builder from germany.

I don't know how it compares to other 2x12s but i love it. On our last gig the basisst of the other band played through my rig and it sounded very good!
  14. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    +1 :)

Sadly, I have yet to gig with it.
  15. Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    I play through EBS Neo 212 cabinet(s). Sounds great! Weight: 53lbs :)
  16. 2 x 12's seem to be all the rage this year.
  17. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Thanks guys for your input and comments.

I am realy leaning towards the Genz-Benz Neox 2X12 and will probably buy two cabinets. I only heard good things about Genz Benz products.

I wil let you know what I think of the rig later this week after I have the chance to try it.
  18. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Schroeder 1212 non-neo. Tight, deep, fast, loud and I'm constantly amazed at the portability.

I've done 15's and 10's, but I've found my perfect configuration.
  19. A lot of people have dissed them. But, I got an Ampeg PB212, replaced the speakers with Emminence Delta 12 LF's, and couldn't be happier. The thing sounds great, rolls on a luggage cart, is small, really easy to move, covers a lot of styles and room sizes, and still comes in under 50#.