Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any basses without knobs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Xanaptabil, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Xanaptabil

Xanaptabil

Jul 18, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    Hey, my name is Ian.

Anyway, do any luthiers make passive basses without knobs? My desire for this began when my Ibanez's pots went bad and I pulled them out. I just sent the pickups straight to the output jack.

1. The tone improved substantially even through a cheap peavey.

2. The bass looks great! It came with these gaudy chrome knobs on it's dark blue body and now it's just sleek as hell.

It's a GSR200 fretless with barts.

So my ideal bass is a soundgear, ebony fretless, dark wood body with natural finish, no knobs, black hardware.

Anything even come close to this? Thanks.

God I hate knobs.

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Our own Stew McKinsey, 10 strings, no knobs:

[​IMG]

and I think any custom luthier would gladly make a passive instrument without tone controls, if that's what the customer wants.

3. Xanaptabil

Xanaptabil

Jul 18, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    Haha, that's funny as I like the minimalist approach.

Dragonetti only needed three strings :)

4. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    maybe you would like to have just one pot for volume control

5. Carvin's Timothy B Schmit Signature bass is a JJ bass with only one knob, a volume control.

6. JohnAEC

JohnAEC

Jul 22, 2005
    I had one once, (it was stolen in Northern California - reward for its return!).

It was custom built, had a semi-hollow body, (ala Rickenbacker), of birdseye maple, 2 F-holes, a maple Fender Jazz bass neck glued solid into the body, (truss rod adjustment at the head), and 2 EMG pickups. When it was stolen, the brown pickups had been replaced with newer black ones. No controls at all, and the battery was replaced through the output jack panel on the bottom, (same place as Rickenbacker).

These are the only images I could find of it, ('also gave up using picks)...

BTW - I currently play a black Rickenbacker 4001.

John

Attached Files:

7. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas

MMMMMMM! I love that idea!

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

From what I know of Stew, I'm sure he could kill just as well on two strings as 10. With the 10, he's got a lot more options, though.

I believe he has other knob-free basses too.

If you're going to go this way, you'd better make sure you're only about 3 feet away from your amp at any one time.

I like having a tone control. I like having different colors for different songs.

Most importantly, most of my basses have a place on the tone knob where they sound great...its usually somewhere in the middle, not at either end. If you get rid of your tone circuitry, you'd eliminate that option.

9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Gary Willis' custom Ibenez basses used to have no knobs or switches (single PUP).

10. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I've been talking to Stew, and i asked the same question. ALL of his main basses have no knobs. It's all in the fingers!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. I would think that would be the one control you wouldn't want... since turning a volume control down on a passive instrument really degrades the tone (in my experience, and hearing many guitarist talk about it.... sorry :eek: . I would go with an 'on/off' switch as the only control if you wanted to go that way... you wouldn't degrade the signal, but would still have the ability to cut the sound on breaks, etc.

12. Ps.... that picture of the guy slapping on a fretless 9 string (or whatever) bass is very disturbing :help:

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    8 string, and howso disturbing?

14. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Anthony Jackson presentation model

[​IMG]

15. My fretless P is knobless and potless. Just the pickup straight back to the jack. I love the tone.

The tone IS in the fingers!

16. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I was once told that Eddie Van Halen played his guitar with like one knob (not none, but close). He said that he started that style of as few knobs as possible, is that true?

17. Old joke... and not a very good one... sorry... I take it back.

18. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    I know Matt has made at least a couple of his FBB Basses without any knobs/controls. He made a really amazing 8 string (doubled) fretless for me, though it certainly has no shortage of bells and whistles itself...

19. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    What a beautiful instrument!!!

:(

Me want...

20. This bass is making me want a 6 string!!!!