Any body using the Mackie Spike package?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by steve_man, Feb 10, 2006.

1. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    It seems like a great deal considering that you get full version of Traktion 2. Just wondering how this unit stacks up against some others of similar specs (eg. M-Audio Fast Track Pro and FireWire Solo)

I'm considered getting one of these to start some single track bass recording. Bass will probobly be accompanied by some drum loops (possibly from a drum machine later down the road).

Also what computer's are you running with how much RAM?
  2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    While I don't have the Mackie Spike I am using Tracktion 2 and I love it. It is quick, intuitive, and powerful. There's a good plug-in drum synth included so you may not have to buy a separate machine.

I have not used a USB audio interface but I keep hearing that USB lags behind FireWire and PCI cards in terms of latency and overall performance. Others who have actually used USB interfaces can confirm/deny this.

If you can see yourself using the computer for more than just recording 1 or 2 tracks at a time, you might want to consider getting a heavier-duty audio interface. You can get Tracktion 2 by itself for $150. I have a 10 channel M-Audio Delta 1010 soundcard and a Soundcraft Compact 10 mixer running into a 3 GHZ P4 with 1 G of RAM.

This setup lets me hook up my basses, guitars, 2 keyboards, drum machine, vocal mics, 4-track, turntable, tape deck/iPod and monitor either the direct source or what's coming back from the soundcard through speakers and headphones, WITHOUT having to re-patch anything. This saves a lot of time/effort and simply would not be possible with a small USB interface.

Hope this helps. I would also recommend checking out the computer recording forums over at .
  3. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    Thanks for the link.

Anybody else with some experience with the XD-2 unit?